• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seems like this is turning into a build thread.

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually hadn't installed the upper shackle bushings on the front end, so I set about that this morning. Had spent some time looking around online for any example I could find of how it's done, since I don't know what I don't know and that's a good way to find out. No luck, so here's my experience. First, set up some kind of heat deflector above the driver's side upper, because torching it could catch your wiring harness on fire if you don't. Other than that, I just heated the center sleeve, twisted it out, cut off one side of the rubber, and knocked it through from the outside with a screwdriver. There was no outer sleeve, which was a relief, because I had set up my reciprocating saw and discovered it was not going to fit before I got started.

Shackle Upper.jpeg

So that one's in place. Stopped there, since my favorite neighbor came out to let me know what he thought of the sound of bushings being tapped with a hammer. Figured since I was rolling around in the dirt anyway, I'd get a pic of the transmission mounts I did a couple days ago.

Transmission Mounts.jpeg

My undercarriage is beautifully seasoned, like an heirloom skillet. I had wanted this thing for awhile and finally decided I was willing to buy once and cry once. I'm happy with it. Good purchase.

Worth It.jpeg

Yeah, I know, plywood or something. Haven't got any. The truck can't push this jack frame through the sand. My house is built on it. It's fine. Anyway, I found some kind of sprung push retainer on the driver's side floorboard yesterday and I don't know what it is. It could have fallen out of the steering column when I was tapping the lower column onto it. That's my only theory. Does anyone recognize this thing? Thanks in advance if you do.

Identify This 01.jpeg

CARC686

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This morning I went to R&R the last bushing on the front springs. Passenger side shackle top. Started tapping it out and found that it backs into the bank 2 exhaust. Looked up at those three nuts on the collector. Thought about how they've heat cycled a thousand times and rust has been crystalizing in the threads for ten presidential elections. Thought about snapped fasteners in the manifold. Thought about removing the manifold to drill them out and snapping studs off in the cylinder head.

My risk/benefit analysis of the situation came to one conclusion: Nope.

I reckon I could torch the bolt until the rubber turns to mush and slide hammer it all out together. Maybe cut the head off and pull it out from the thread end and just install the new bolt backwards. Makes no difference. I just haven't got a slide hammer or an angle grinder at present. There isn't enough room between the frame and the exhaust to install the inner half of the Energy Suspension bushing at that point. Could always just cut the collar off it, install both halves from the outboard side, and replace the missing poly with a fender washer.

I'll decide how to deal with it today and get after it again tomorrow.