• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brake Booster Work-around

8dogsbarking

I'm always working on keeping my M880 on the road, brake boosters have been quite the problem... because manufacturers don't have them any more! Well... I am sure many of you have figured this out, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have a 1977 M880 and my booster died. I ordered a power brake booster for a 1985 W250 with a 4500 lb axle from Rock Auto (Cardone 5473360). I also ordered the master cylinder for the same 1985 model (Dorman M39712).
The problem people have is with the connection to the brake pedal. A bolt attachment versus a mounting stud. My solution was to take a step bit and drill the booster rod out to the size of the bolt. I have had it in for a month now and you would never know the difference! I also had to make a minor adjustment to the brake light switch, but that was easy since I was already under the dashboard! I am sure that has been discussed before, but I wanted to put this out there in case it helps anyone.
IMG_2409.JPGIMG_2409.JPGIMG_2411.JPG

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of parts trucks but only one good spare booster left .. I have been concerned as to what to do when/if the M880 or M890 uses up that spare booster and thus someday being stuck being told "NLA". .. Thanks for your info !!!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had M880's for 20 years, several of them. Have not had an issue with a booster yet.
This post is good info if it does happen to me. While I have several parts trucks to pick from, I tend to prefer new over 46 year old brake parts.