• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Passenger Seats

Reworked LMTV

Our issue is the size. We want a larger box than the 1079 and we enjoy building things. Though if I could design a 1079 to meet by better half's desires that's the way we would go. As it is, Globe Trekker appears better built and more affordable than the other boxes we have looked at for the DIY folks. You are right though $40m is our box budget for now, I am planning to go up and pick up the flatpak myself before we pull the cargo bed off.

Hopefully, I'll get to met you in person–
:ROFLMAO:
$40 MILLION? Obviously you live in Poverty

coachgeo

I looked at ambulance boxes. The two issues I found were a lack of height and thermal bridging. ...

lack of height issues is a fallacy many fall for. Loww height is only in first one or two of the three Classes of Ambo's if I recall right. Not that hard to work around if one wanted too though.. (rolling stools/chair) . Have a nice awning room and outdoor cook setup to go under it. Commonly many cook outdoors on family outings like this anyway.

For full timing..... though you would want one of the Medium Duty Ambo' boxes and those are made to be "stand up" ambo's. Also they fit on Medium Duty truck chassis same as LMTV dimensions. Shortest height of these a 5'8 person fits fine (Tis what I got cause wanted low trail height) .... and the tallest of these (usually swat, search rescue , wildfire personnel transport , dive teams, etc..) are set for handling folk up to a little over 6' if I recall right.

Thermal bridging- again a bit of a fallacy. Less than a 1/4 of exterior walls are fronted by interior wall if keep the exterior /interior storage (part of its strength so you should anyway). Exterior storage space pretty much would eliminate issue with thermal bridging cause of their depth. Newer the models... and the best of the builder's from say 2000's up I do believe have thermal bridging material built into them.

sizes... up to 16' long I think. Mine is 14.5 M1079 is 12.

Third From Texas

The two issues I found were a lack of height and thermal bridging.
Thermal bridging is an issue that carries over to all the military shelters, as well.
The AAR boxes on the M1079, etc bridge like crazy. But as with ambo boxes, it can be overcome with the right mods.

The ceiling height can be an issue depending on the box (and the height of the person). But boxes with 6' interiors are pretty common in the boxes over 12.5' long. But the kicker is finding an ambo box in the 16" range (as those can be far more rare).

Reworked LMTV

lack of height issues is a fallacy many fall for. Loww height is only in first one or two of the three Classes of Ambo's if I recall right. Not that hard to work around if one wanted too though.. (rolling stools/chair) . Have a nice awning room and outdoor cook setup to go under it. Commonly many cook outdoors on family outings like this anyway.

For full timing..... though you would want one of the Medium Duty Ambo' boxes and those are made to be "stand up" ambo's. Also they fit on Medium Duty truck chassis same as LMTV dimensions. Shortest height of these a 5'8 person fits fine (Tis what I got cause wanted low trail height) .... and the tallest of these (usually swat, search rescue , wildfire personnel transport , dive teams, etc..) are set for handling folk up to a little over 6' if I recall right.

Thermal bridging- again a bit of a fallacy. Less than a 1/4 of exterior walls are fronted by interior wall if keep the exterior /interior storage (part of its strength so you should anyway). Exterior storage space pretty much would eliminate issue with thermal bridging cause of their depth. Newer the models... and the best of the builder's from say 2000's up I do believe have thermal bridging material built into them.

There certainly is more than one way to approach a camper. There are a lot of variables and needs. So there is no one size fits all. What works for one, may not work for another. I recall watching a guy who bought an ambulance camper saying there was so much that had to be modified to make it work for him, that it was not worth it in the end. Thermal bridging may have improved with newer models, but I would not call it a fallacy. I recall finding only short ambulances when I looked about 5 years ago. Is there a source for larger used ambulances that you can share?

coachgeo

There certainly is more than one way to approach a camper. There are a lot of variables and needs. So there is no one size fits all. What works for one, may not work for another. I recall watching a guy who bought an ambulance camper saying there was so much that had to be modified to make it work for him, that it was not worth it in the end. Thermal bridging may have improved with newer models, but I would not call it a fallacy. I recall finding only short ambulances when I looked about 5 years ago. Is there a source for larger used ambulances that you can share?
Facebook marketplace and craigslist. As well as Facebook groups, Ambulance discussion boards etc.... looked for a year though.

Agree it is a lot of work if you go into it with plans of gutting it down to bare walls and starting over... No way would do that. Why remove shelves and storage cabinets to build shelves and storage cabinets.