• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First M715

458soco

I did some trading last weekend and picked up my first M715. I have about $880 in it as it sets (towing and all). It does not run at this moment. PO said points were bad. I plan on getting some batteries along with all new fluids and see if I can get it going. Planning on just using it as a BA weekend/camping/snow day truck. Any advice? How much work am I looking at getting into?
IMG_1813.jpgIMG_0332.jpgIMG_2200.jpgIMG_3187.jpgIMG_5399.jpgIMG_4750.jpgIMG_8280.jpgIMG_6626.jpgIMG_9122.jpgIMG_7271.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Tornado is a tough little engine when everything is working right. The points are not hard to work on.

You can get the manuals at www.m715zone.com Make sure you add your serial number thier list.

My first MV was a M715.

bigugh20

That truck looks way too far gone to try and fix. You should just let me come pick it up and get out now. It doesn't even have the pioneer tools with it. I'll haul it away for almost nothing.:naner:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks like a pretty decent candidate for restoration to me. I am going to assume it's been converted to 12V and you'd need to patch the rollbar holes in the bed and find a factory seats, but otherwise looks really solid.

You have about 3 months to get it ready for the rally! See the link below for all the info.

458soco

Thank y'all, I'm in north GA. I also have a '74 cj5 that was a mv. I've always been a jeep guy!
I have printed off literally hundreds of pages of stuff off m715.com already! It's actually still
24v, luckily the factory gen was still in the bed along with a ton of trash.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the points are shot ,you're doomed, I'll be down in the morning with a trailer to get it out of your hair. Nice find, wouldn't take much to restore it, seats and paint will make it right. Good for you.
JC

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool save, and a great price! My first MV project was a M725 ambulance version of the M715. It was in a lot worse shape than yours, and have a lot more work to do to get it running. You bought yours cheap, but in the right shape.

Keep us informed with pics as your project comes along!

458soco

will do! I do have one question if someone has the info. I know there is the SBC conversion but I was wondering about mopar engines and if anyone has ever done some sort of swap like that. If the tranny is the predecessor to the T18 would a 318/360 bolt right up? I seen a pic of one with a later model 258 or 4.0 in it but if i were going to swap it wouldn't be another inline (unless it was turbo diesel).

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SBC conversions are common in the M715, but SBC conversions are common in everything out there, mainly due to parts availability.

If your M715 can get running with minimal effort, keep it. It's a good engine as long as it's in good order, if it ever needs a rebuild, THEN you can chuck it and upgrade. To be honest, I like the diesel Cummins 6BT conversion that I have seen a lot of guys do, or even the smaller 4BT would be good (if no towing is involved on the road). Military trucks should have diesel powerplants, so I feel this is a great swap. If you go this way, take the trans out of your M715 too, and replace with the unit that your donor truck has (with the Cummins engine).

458soco

Hey guys got some more pics from this weekends work. Also have some questions if anyone could help. 1. does the starter gear always stay engaged? I know there are a few pieces of heavy equipment that do but never seen a vehicle that does, maybe bendix is just stuck. #2. what does the breaker plate in the distributor bolt down to?
IMG_0224.jpgIMG_0816.jpgIMG_7105.jpgIMG_7156.jpgIMG_7300.jpgIMG_7414.jpgIMG_8544.jpgIMG_1415.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shh, listen closely! I can hear the M715 screaming for a big block or a nostalgic 392 Hemi.

458soco

actually you dont have to shhh, it screams loudly at night while im sleeping... but until the big block fairy leaves me one on the doorstep i gotta get this little guy up and going lol

ares1986

nice truck! I have a Braden winch setup that I believe will work on this truck and im 25 min north of Chattanooga let me know if you need any parts ive seen a few of these in a junkyard not to far from home

458soco

So i pulled my fill hose last night and it was cracked and dry rotted pretty bad. Didn't want to spend the $95 on a new one so I tried something to get me by for a while. this is before and after painting two coats of tool dip on it. Actually turned out pretty good I think.
IMG_8504.jpgIMG_2054.jpgIMG_6589.jpgIMG_1973.jpg

458soco

progress is slow with work and trying to buy new house so thought i would try and catch up here.
Wheel cylinders were in great shape!!
IMG_8471.jpg
got everything cleaned and reassembled
IMG_1975.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks