• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 hei conversion

bcowanwheels

WELL since the only coils available are imports now for the stock 230 plus the import dont live but for short time i,ve decided to build up a new HEI 6 CYL dist. ( it must be modified for this conersion ) for this truck/engine. i,ve found a supplier where i can get the 100% new dist with a 65k volt coil also this should help the 230 out some. also this supplier can make the perfect length spark plug wires for this engine in 8mm so civy spark plugs can be used. they only drawback is its going to be a 12 volt distributor. its so powerful it takes a #10 wire to supply power to feed it. more to come soon with pictures.
bob
bcowanwheels

Last edited:

Hoefler

I have an Army CJ 5 Jeep (fire truck) with an inline 232. The ignition is from Prestolite-not vey good. I have done lots of reading and have found Davis Unified Ignition is the route I am taking to convert her to HEI. One thing to consider is the gear and how it mates to camshaft. Cheap knock offs have crummy gears that will harm camshaft gears.
HEI is perhaps the best money spent on modifying an older engine. The only caution is with the camshaft gear-distributor mating.
Pete

MO MV man

If you're going 12V anyway......is a Pertronix Ignitor module available for your original distributor?

I've used them many many times in the past and never had a problem.

Mate it with a quality coil (Pertronix has them, too) and it'll be a set it and forget it affair. :)

I LOVE HEI's, don't get me wrong.
Presently, I have one on a 232 AMC in a Commando and on my 302 Ford. Both are Ebay specials that work fantastic.

Hoefler

On the 232 AMC-I am looking at the DUI units-but they are 300 dollars-a bit spendy. I have seen cheaper ones but dont know of anybody who has one-
Which one did you install and are you happy with it? Miles since conversion?
Pete

MO MV man

Hi Pete,
I really don't know how many miles.
It's been on the 302 in my rat rod for going on two years and it's been a no-brainer, turn-key operation.
The 232 has had it for several years.
My brother actually drives it and it starts first time, every time.
I'd have to look into the exact seller on the Jeep HEI.

The 302 HEI was, no kidding, something like $65 delivered from Ebay.
Yes, it's an offshore unit but it's been great to me.

Like you, I just couldn't swallow $300.

I'm at work so I don't have the specific info on them in front of me.

Hoefler

I think I will try one of those inexpensive ones. My Jeep stays on the farm and hauls water, so not a risky deal. Thanks for input.
Sorry to jack the thread-but its all about me!
Pete

MO MV man

If memory serves me right, back when I got the HEI for the 232 it was sold under the brand Proform at somewhere like Summit Racing.

But by now? It may be available in the cheap version. I haven't looked.

As for the original poster, definitely consider the Pertronix if it's available.
Can't say enough how trouble free they've been for my air-cooled VW's over the years.

bcowanwheels

I dont use inferior parts on anything,never have and never will. Thats why everything i make is top shelf, like my custom rims for instance, the only ones on the market that will balance. Often copied but never duplicated. The secret is praying over everything. Just a fyi

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I believe in a higher power, I doubt praying will help poor craftsmanship. I'm not quite sure how that comes into play here.

61sleepercab

A Jeep friend ran 258 AMC 6 cylinders with a stock GM HEI distributor fitted with the AMC drive gear and shorten the shaft slightly and bolt right in. He put one retro GM HEI in my AMC Eagle and it made a world of difference from the original Motocraft mickey mouse set up. I do not know if M715 distributor is the same as 258 but may be a possible fit. Mark

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you're going 12V anyway......is a Pertronix Ignitor module available for your original distributor?

I've used them many many times in the past and never had a problem.

Mate it with a quality coil (Pertronix has them, too) and it'll be a set it and forget it affair. :)

I LOVE HEI's, don't get me wrong.
Presently, I have one on a 232 AMC in a Commando and on my 302 Ford. Both are Ebay specials that work fantastic.
They really are the best way to go. Best of all, they already have a unit ready to install.

MV-161A

http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/ptx/2012/ptx2012_ignition_conv.pdf

Page 13 of that PDF.

http://pertronix.shptron.com/p/ignitor-autolite-6cyl-24-volt-system

$167.20 well spent.

Edit, BTW these are designed for MVs in mind. They run at 24v.

bcowanwheels

I,ve seen the pertronix units give alot of trouble several times. I dont want a setup like that i want a dedicated hi-output hei distributor personally and that what i,am about to make. To each there own

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How well was the unit grounded that you've seen trouble with? Why the need for a higher voltage spark? With a 7.5:1 CR and a redline a good bit south of 5K, HEI seems a little overkill and 12v. Unless the goal is to get civy spark plugs and wires. Which could be achieved with a civy style distributor and the pertronix unit and a good 24v coil. No voltage concerns that way and all off the shelf parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks