• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M725 resto

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove the M106 out of the shop and retrieved the M725 from the Ambulance line so we could start cleaning it up. It has been 11 years since this truck has been touched, hopefully it will move under it's own power back into it's parking spot. It needs a door hinge..believe it or not, someone "borrowed" it while it was on display! At least they put the bolts back in the holes. It also will need the brakes looked at, new hood hinge springs and the fuel system flushed and maybe steal some of the gurney rack cushons from one of the others out in the back 40.
This time, promise to take pics as we go along. I tend to bet too wrepped up in the work being performed to keep a photo log.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Great truck.....I don't mean to throw this off topic but dude....you've gotta take some pictures of that Hemi powered Chrysler Air Raid Siren sitting behind the ambulance!!! Thats what we really want to see!! :p

I found the engine portion of one in a junkyard near me but the compressor and trumpet portion were missing.

-331cu. in. Industrial Hemi, 180hp
-138db
-30KW of sound

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I have a couple of pics and a link to a vid. I'll start another thread.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some progress on the meat wagon. We decided to put another hood on it 'cause there was a dent in the middle from someone standing on it. It will go out for blasting on Monday. All the body stuff is being performed by students learning trades. Most of the kids are very nice and they listen to what they are being told. Hopefully they walk away with the beginnings of a learned skill...not much of that happens anymore. I'll wait to do the engine work 'till after the body work is done. We were gonna go pull out one of the M322 and Converto trailers to start cleaning them up for display, but the wasps were THICK! 16 nests the size of a softball in the general area. My son and the Gunny did erradication sweeps to get rid of the mean little bastiges...next week on the trailers.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Will, what are you planning on working on, on this truck? The guys on the 715zone have found info stating that the brake drums "could" need to be marked so they go back on the hub to keep the system in balance. Also, does it have the swivel light in the ceiling of the back compartment? I might have one of those for ya. Hey if you find more than one hinge, I would be interested in one. I ripped the driver's side top hinge out while wheeling.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light is in the back and I think it still works. I'll most likely need to delve into the brakes 'cause when we went to move it, the pedal was all the way down...before anyone got in it to move it. I have found that drums on older stuff does indeed need to be marked so it goes back into the same spot, M8 brakes:roll: We will make it a runner too, maybe aparade toy or display item at different events.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple of pics of the progress. New paint, the engine runs but the fuel pump has a split diaphram so we are waiting for a modern rebuild kit. It will have new hoses as well. Should move under it's own power in a few weeks. We are getting ready for the BBQ next weekend so not much got done today.

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the plan. Hope we don't have issues like the M8 brakes :roll:. I still gotta take that back apart. I think it is a residual check valve issue, but we gotta find parts for it that don't cost my first born!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, here are pics of the finished product. Jacked it up, did a brake adjustment, lubed it, adjusted the PB, Craig did a service on it. We took it for a few laps around the compound, man, it sure drives good! The engine was a tad noisy, as in valves ticking, so, we pulled a lid off of a donor M715, walnut blasted it and gave it a coat of paint, and I gave it a good valve adjust. Sounds gooood now! It stops good too! Made the stencils up for it and got it all done up. Craig even had a box of NEW window covers. It's first outing will be this comming Wed, at Forest Lawn for the Veterans Day Ceremonies. Lotsa work, but it is worth it to see, hear and drive these great paices of machinery!

Attachments

muddog

I found a M725 that is missing front clip and motor other than that it is in good condition. My question is it worth restoring or would it be better for parts?

kvflyer

I have to agree that it really looks nice. We had one at our field site in Blanding, UT. Unfortunately, yours truly took it for a ride in the desert and actually split the Dana front axle center section from "jumping" it. I have gotten a little older now and sometimes think how stupid that was. Anyway, great to see it in good running and looking conditions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks