• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My '68 M-715 has been in storage for years.

Hello and all,

I've finally made it over to this Full-Size-Jeep forum.

I've had 1 of 2 M-715's since May, 1995 in storage with plans to restore or to get them driveable. The 2nd M-715 was the parts truck for the 1st M-715.

The 1st driveable M-715 was sold 4 months after buying it from the Humboldt Water District, when I blew my original Buick 350v8 engine in my 1970 J-3000 Gladiator truck, my daily driven truck.

The second M-715 currently doesn't have the engine/trans so I plan to install a Buick 455v8 mated to the T-18 trans or TH400 trans. to the divorced T/C.

The cab is in rough shape, rotted in outdoor storage, R/F fender bent, still has the 8K winch attached and amazingly the tires are still holding air. I still have the wooden crew bed seats and the snorkel /exhaust kit plus a full parts and other vehicle manuals.

I need to get the gas tank flushed and a new rubber inlet tube. Also would like to get the drivers hood light and bracket. plus new seats and canvas tops.

Any help locally would be helpful, maybe i need to join the MVPA too.
Thanks, Mac

AaronW

Welcome to this site mac! I too jump back and forth from here to the Zone.

Of course...now that I see your join date...you have been here longer than me.

Last edited:

Barrman

Memphis has new fuel inlet hoses. Be prepared for sticker shock. They also make new windshield to cowl gaskets. Both are made with modern rubber to resist todays fuels.

Cruise the classifieds here and on the Zone for some of your other part needs.

Oh, the M715 has a T98 transmission with an extrememly long input shaft. Finding adaptors to mate it to a Chevy is expensive. Your price will probably be outrages going to the Buick. Go with a Buick mated transmission and a huge cooler is my suggestion.

By the way, I love that big Buick 455. Looks like a small block and blows big blocks away with that massive torque.

91W350

We did a couple with the small block Chevrolets and Novak mounts/adapters. Their package works very well and with the M715's deep gearing, a 305 Chevy will either go or spin the tires trying. I cannot imagine what kind of power a 396 or 455 must have in one of these old beasts. I ran 36" and 38" tires on mine, my brother had 38s and 40s for his.

Barrman, what did that NV4500 do for your ground speed? We felt 55 on tall tires was pushing ours pretty hard. That was running down the highway at 55, the transfer cases would always get too hot to touch, so we normally ran around 50. Glen

Barrman

48 mph indicated is 54 mph actaul ground speed with the 11.00-16 XZL tires. That is what I call "warp speed" since it is my max for long runs. The transfer case will still hit 220-240 case temps at that speed. That is right at 2,000 rpm with the NV4500.

I will tell you that faster speeds vastly increase fuel consumption and wind noise. I get 12-13 mpg running Warp Speed with just the truck empty or loaded on long highway runs. 8-10 around town. Add another M715 on a trailer and I still get 10-11 at warp speed. Running 65-70 mph just to see what the transfer case would do made too much noise to talk and gave me about 6 mpg. You can only push a brick through the air so fast. 280 plus on the t-case.

Look at a NP203 or NP205 if you want to run faster than 54 for any length of time.

91W350

That is a fact on the noise. I had my speedometer buried a few times. That transfer case sounds like a siren at that speed.

Barrman

I did a straight through conversion years ago to get rid of "that" noise.

No top, windshield up and yelling doesn't work above 70 to talk to the person next to you.

Bikinni top and yelling stops working around 65.

Hard top on, windows up and talking is possible at any speed you are brave enough to run.

Thanks for the updates about the driveability of the M-715, I had the other truck for just 4 months, tried some 4 wheeling and now remember the hard ride and not so much flexibility in the suspension.

The NDT wheels don't last very long as a daily driver, and the old Chevy 350v8 topped out at 65 mph, engine screaming all it had in the fast lane, wrong place to be.

The next series of pictures I moved my #2 M-715 from a storage in Fairfield to Martinez to a friends house in 1997. It was moved in 2007 back to another friends house in Vacaville, so now it's getting time to start working on it.

I have listed the SN before but haven't found my detached data plate around the house yet.

Mac

Attachments

Is it the M-715zone that has the S/N Registry for our M-715's?

I was trying to look if you guys have started one yet?

I work at Travis AFB and do belong to a local 4x4 club in Vacaville, that we do the Fiesta Days, 4th and Veterans Day Parades, I've been wanting to drive the M-715 w/the W/S down and topless to work for along time, just for fun!

Anyone have a source for Vietnam era uniforms available?

Thanks, Mac

67Beast

Is it the M-715zone that has the S/N Registry for our M-715's?

I was trying to look if you guys have started one yet?

I work at Travis AFB and do belong to a local 4x4 club in Vacaville, that we do the Fiesta Days, 4th and Veterans Day Parades, I've been wanting to drive the M-715 w/the W/S down and topless to work for along time, just for fun!

Anyone have a source for Vietnam era uniforms available?

Thanks, Mac
Yes, the M715zone has the s/n registry at the top in the nav. bar. And for Vietnam era uniforms, the best I've found is, Vietnam: Vietnam War militaria, military surplus, military collectibles & more.

I had a little gathering of NorCal CA_FSJA group J-Series Roundup on Dec 5th 2009 up to Mt. Diablo State Park.

It had been over 20+ years since I went up there.

Figured I would add some pics of the Regular J-Series that attended.
4 J-Series and 2 Wagoneers

Mac

Attachments

91W350

Those all look pretty sweet! We have a few around here, but a really clean one is pretty rare. I found a couple of pretty solid Honchos last week, but he is a non-seller....

AaronW

I sure do love the FSJ's. I'll throw in a pic of my 65 1414 along side the 715. Thanks for the pics from NorCal.

The dealer added winch bumper gets a laugh every time. That rig sure looks strange coming right at you. It still has the 327 Vigilante in it!

Attachments

Last edited:

The PIG Smith

Greetings!!

I just made it over from the IFSJA Forum myself just a few days ago.
Same screenname there as I have here.

I've used my J20 as a tow rig until the rust has it parked permanently.
Right now, I am using my '93 GMC 3500 series Diesel powered extended length cargo van as a tow rig.
It does okay.

Currently, I am lusting after a M-915 as the ultimate tow rig!
I would like to have a rig that I could travel from the Midwest to out West and haul back these rust free FSJ projects.
...like a FSJ Panel wagon, or a '91 Final Edition Grand Waggie or a Honcho Sportside.
Also, I am getting into Historic Construction Equipment and will need to rig to haul antique dozers.

The Commercial requirements and commercial expenses of a 915 has me rattled as I am only a hobbyists.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I asked and assumed the ownership of the SoCal M-715 group to include all of
California and other western states, changed the group name to CA_M-715 which will include the M-725/726 versions of the Kaiser Jeep trucks.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CA_M-715/

Hopefully we will get our rigs together for a get together, but distance is our
enemy for our 60 mph trucks, unless suitably modified.

I've had my 1968 M-715 since 1995 and has been in storage till I can afford to
work on it. The Wasps have taken it over in open storage. The cab back floor is rotted out, and the truck fenders are not in the most perfect shape, the old 6 cyl engine has been gone for years, and T-98 trans. is toast.
Originally the parts truck was used for an operating second M-715, which was used by the Eureka, CA Humboldt Water District in NorCAL.
My original 1970 J-3000 Gladiator 350v8 Buick engine blew a rod 3 mos. after I purchased the trucks, sold the operating M-715 and have kept the parts M-715 truck since.

My plans are to install either the Buick 350v8 or 455v8,
and/or the TH400 A/T or T-18/NV4500 M/T.
So eventually I'll get some time on it.

Please welcome the new group, we need active participants!

Thanks, Mac
1970 J-3000 Gladiator
1968 M-715 Cargo truck
1956 Willys CJ-5
1/4t M-416B1 trailer

Moderator(s): FSJ-List, CA_FSJA,
CA_M-715, M416, ChrisCraftBoats
Suisun City, California, USA

Wolf.Dose

Do not put too muck torque in the truck, the transfer is not made for it and overheats, also the axles are not made of nowadays steel quality., so they suffer fro to much torque.
I use a 6.2 l diesel since 6 years now and had to reduce to oil changing interval of the transfer to 6000 miles instead of 12000 miles. And the axles like fresh oil after some 8000 miles. The trans can live with some 10000 miles with one oil filling.
Some of the transmission noise may be the journal bearing when worn out. This is the noise arround 55 mph.
88000 miles on a M715 since 1982.[thumbzup] Keep then rolling!
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks