• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 windshield removal

gmm keswick

After a successful restoration of a 1984 Iltis and M101 trailer, we are moving onto the M135. A quick test has shown us that the motor is good, and work is underway. The windshield, both frames, are not in good shape. They are rusted pretty bad. The small hex screws along the top of the frame are rusted up , some to the point that there is barely any head left. Any tricks or suggestions to get these puppies out with the least amount of damage?

Rob

gmm keswick

Thanks for the advice, but i don't think there is enough room to do that. There is barely enough to get an open end wrench in to put on the heads that are there. Just looking at the manual, might be easier to remove the whole windshield assemly, then deal with the frames on the workbench.

WPNS421

The windshields from the M35 and the MLVW fit on the M135. If you need some good frames and windows PM me. I have gone throught the hassel of trying to fix the frame when we did the restoration on our M135 flying Kitchen. Everytime we touched the frame something else fell apart. Also be careful when handling the glass, it is easy to replace the glass but the sealant material in the frame cannot be found and has tpo be replaced by a silicon. Also if you do take the frame apart mark the pieces because the frame can be assembled backwards and you will only notice it when you try to reinstall the windshield to the frame, and this becomes very difficult if you are using silicon .., Been there, done that.
If you need some parts for your M135 rebuild, maybe I can help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The windshields from the M35 and the MLVW fit on the M135.
Sorry this is absolutely not the case.

Chisel off what is left of the head and then reattach the hinge with self drilling screws in a different spot.

dabtl

The M135 window is wider by several inches than the M35. I have a complete window frame without the windows if you want it. In pretty good condition because it is in Texas. Dry and no salt rot. I have no idea what it would cost to ship.

gmm keswick

Thanks for all the help guys....I'll get to work on it soon, and let you know what happens. Maybe take a few pics if I get stuck, and see what you think.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeow, I would take the frame out and work on it. Probably grind the heads off, tap the threads into the frame with a chisel and use the next size up screw. Might be able to drill the remaining threads and re-tap. Either way, good luck.

WPNS421

Does anyone know if the frame from an M35 will fit on the old deuce,? If so I have a complete windshield frame that I am in the process of removing from a donor cab. I have no use for it and will probably end up being scrapped. I am in Canada near Ottawa . Just saw the post by DABTL.

Last edited:

nattieleather

You might be better off trying to find a good take off that is in better condition than the one you have. Maybe find a couple of windshields to make one? Good luck with your project. BTW is that a factory hard top?

gmm keswick

2 blocks from me, keswick,ont. Hey Seatyger (Jim), I see you are in Ont as well. We are having trouble frinding a set of bows, so are likely going to have to make our own. I see u also have CDN m135. Any chance og getting the dimensions on them so we can repro a set?

Seatyger

gmm keswick

I should be able to get at it this weekend. I have a truck coming with some bows that I will remove, measure and photograph for you. I'll cross reference them with another truck as these ones have been exposed to the elements for a number of years.

Jim

Seatyger

Hello gmm keswick;

Went out to measure the bows that came with the M135 MRT, the bottom ends that side into the stake pockets on the bed (for lack of the correct term) were pretty chewed from age and moisture.

My daughter helped measure then it began pouring rain so my photos didnt turn out too hot. To the location on the metal brace where the wood ends (measuring top to bottom was 44-45 inches. Again they were chewed up. Width on these was 2 1/2" and a thickness between 3/4 and 7/8 inches.

A friend here has an M135 which has bows in better shape, I'll go measure with a straight edge and photograph those. I believe he ended up replacing a couple as well. The top piece measured 68 inches from detent in brace from side to side.

If I was really smart...........and there is much evidence to prove otherwise.. I would have looked in one of my manuals to see if the specs were listed there.

If I find it I'll get back to you. Sorry I couldnt be more precise at this time.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks