• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M715 tire questions

panzerjunky

I will soon be in the process of restoring an old M715 ( I guess they are all old ) and am wanting to keep it as close to stock as issued as possible but......I am wondering what is the largest size of NDT tires that will fit the issue rims and still fit under the fenders and turn stop to stop without binding.
Also what was the stock tire size?
Thanks Jerry

Barrman

9.00-16 is the size of the stock NDT (34"). That is all you can get when it comes to NDT's too. Most of us have moved up to 11.00-16 Michelin XL or XZL military tires. They are 38" tall, radials with treads that actually grip on wet roads.

Wolf.Dose

9.00-16 are not made officially any where in the world any more. The metric replacement for them is the 255/100R16 Michelin. But these tires are relatively expensive and the profile does not look like anything which has to do with the original one. But it runs and handles much better! The other alternative is, as said, the 11.00-16 by Michelin, which are not realy 38 inch tall, more between 36" and 37", for the do not have an exact 100% cross section. Measured on original tires, it is something arround 36.5", depending on production tolerances. The tolerances are within the legal range, so you do not have to recalibrate your tachometer. To my measurements the speed is shown correctly (with 9.00-16 it indicated more than really traveled), the traveled distance is about 6 % lower than indicated. But this might varry according to the individual tachometer accuracy.
Wolf

Barrman

XZL tires are a little bit bigger than the XL tires. My XZL's are between 37-3/4" and 38-1/8" tall when holding a level on the top of the tire and the end of the tape measure on the ground.

My speedometer is reading exactly 12% slow at any speed according to my gps. Which makes sense since 4 is 11.7% of 34

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Good choise, Barrman. Your tire change brings your reading in the range of the legal requirements as my choise did, at least for the speed, the odometer in my case is a little out, but who cares for a vintage 41 year old vehicle with 106000 miles on the odometer, out of which I drowe 88000 miles?
Wolf

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wallace Wade Tires in Dallas has 9:00-16 NDT tires all day long for $168 brand new, made by Specialty Tires of America (STA).

Barrman

If you are not in a rush. Call Wallace Wade and see if they are taking their truck to a show near you. I know they do shows. If they are, them throwing the tires and you going to the show might be cheaper than shipping.

Just don't try and take up 1/3 of their truck space with your tire order like some other members have tried in the past.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks