• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever try putting an old Detroit diesel in a 725

b money

Hello, I found a '67 715 on craigslist(haven't looked at it) and the guy said it runs good, and just needs a few things to be top notch. My problem is it's gas and I would really like a diesel. I figured an old detroit would be pretty different. I don't even know which model detroit would even fit, so anybody ever tried it?

Last edited:

Barrman

The 4-53 is a very heavy engine. You could make it fit. I have a 715 and a 4-53. I put a tape measure to them and it could work, not very easy, but anything can be make to work.

6.2 is the closest to drop in diesel out there.

b money

Ok thanks everyone, buy the sound of it I'll probly just wait till I have room for a deuce because the guy wanted way to much(in my mind) for the m715. You see right now I don't have the room for something like a m35a2 and that is what I really want(you know, diesel, multifuel, big, powerful, etc) but I was hoping a 2stroke Detroit and a m715 would be fairly easy swap so it could fill the void. But by the time I would buy the truck, and the detroit I could buy a really nice deuce for less.

bcowanwheels

trust me you dont want a detroit diesel in anything.... can you say hearing loss ??? they leak oil lke crazy and puke oil all the time and dont like to be run anyway besides wide open. there stone age obsoliete tech.

b money

Well my dad is a diesel mech. And has rebuilt more detroits than i'v ever seen, and he was kinda saying the same thing about the oil leaking. His exact words being "if they arnt leaking oil then there not running right" but he still thought it would be a neat swap though. Also the guy wants $3800 for it, i'v never looked at any of these before so would that be a good deal?

nhdiesel

The Cummins 4bt is a perfect swap for an M715. Good fuel economy and plenty of power to move it. The 4bt might be a small diesel, but they can handle a load. The truck I pulled mine out of is a 12k gvw van.

Value would depend on condition, how original it is, if it has upgrades...are they quality upgrades (late model axles with disk brakes and better gearing for street use) or butch upgrades that would bring the value down? Any rust? Hows the interior?

Jim

b money

From what the add on CL says it doesn't have any rust, all stock, needs a paint job, and interior needs to be either redone or just put back in

Wolf.Dose

If you still find a good 6.2 l V8 Detroit diesel, it is also a goog engine. It needs some modifications. And somewhere in the net you will find the neccessary adapters to the original transmission.
I made all this myself and it works fine. Fuel consumtion is around 12.6 mpg which is acceptable for the truck.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks