• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unsure of restoration

MTBjunkie

Hello all. I am new here so please excuse any redundancies. I've been searching a reading a bunch but not coming up with much. Any opinions or thoughts, good, bad or other wise would be appreciated.

I picked up an M43 6 years ago for $750. It has now been sitting at the transmission shop for 5 years with the business stating they can't find an input shaft (I think) for it. Sorry for no pictures, but I haven't had the truck for a while! Long story short, not the original engine, a friend told me it was a 318, missing the litter racks, half of the back benches are missing and the rear heaters, no gauges or dash. I really don't know if it is the original tranny or axles. It did hold 65mph on the highway really well when I first got it though.

Finally my question and I apologize if I offend anyone and this may be hard w/o pictures but, at what point is it no longer feasible/possible to restore and take what I have and make it more practical. I do a lot of camping and mountain bike racing that this would be a great vehicle to get me into these places with all my stuff, especially with a 101 trailer! I'm not looking to chop it all up, but the previous owner was a contractor and did a pretty good job of chopping it up for his needs.

I'm thinking if this tranny doesn't work out, I may just swap out engine and tranny for a diesel. My other projects are out of the way and I would like to get this truck rolling and in my drive!

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help.

p

zak

If its been at a trans shop for five years and they can't find parts, their worthless. Get your truck out of there. There's plenty of vendors selling m-37 parts as they are one of the most common MV's.

AZDeuce

MTBjunkie:

This is MY opinion only, so take it for what it's worth (not much).

If the vehicle has already been modified, unless you really know your M37s and M43s, I would figure that it may have already been "butchered" in the process - I wouldn't know without looking at it, that's where knowledge is power. But since it's already been modified, let's ASSUME somthing has been screwed up somewhere, and with most of the stuff missing out of the back, I'd say go for modifying her for your unique needs. I'd keep it military looking on the outside, but thats just me.

There are lots of different conversions for an M37, but most of them have to sourced by the owner/builder, there are only a few kits available and I think they are diesel, and expensive.

Google G741, there used to be a M37 website, I don't know if it's still "up" or not, but if it is, there are plenty of people over there that can help you out. Get that thing out of the tranny shop, those folks are just wasting your time. If it's the original tranny they are available at reasonable prices, also, Memphis Equipment has ALL the parts.

Mike_L

Sounds like you may not have the original tranny. However, if it is the original tranny, then yes, parts abound for those. I just picked up a complete tranny, ready to drop in for $150 at the Iola, WI show. I've seen plenty of ads for M37s and parts out in your region also.

I rebuilt the tranny currently in my truck so I can tell you it isn't too difficult with normal garage tools. Make sure you get a book on the tranny - TM 9-8031-1 (1955) covers the early one, TM 9-2520-232-35 (1959) covers the later version. If you haven't already, you may want to find one of the $20 CDs out there that have the pubs for the truck. Look at the tranny case, dates will be on the cover and side, to see which version you have. I think I just saw ABLinn (ebay) had an input shaft for sale (you'll have to check with AB after you figure out which version you have to see if it will work). Oh yeah, that shop is slackin' on you.

The G741 site is at Dodge M37 Registry Web Site. It is still alive and thriving. Many, but not all of the experts there also frequent here so you'll still get answers here. But, I'd post questions there also for specific information.

Welcome to the community. Make sure you get over to the G741 site and register your vehicle in the database and post some photos when you can.

M-37Bruce

Mike & AZD are right, go to Robi's page, get the cd or the manuals. AB a good person to deal with, Memphis ain't so bad either, just a tad $$.
Keep Us N Da Loop,

MTBjunkie

Thanks for the prompt replies! I've order the CD earlier this week and will print out the tranny info and take it to the shop to see if it has been replaced. If so, I'll look into a new drive train. Looks like Hercules 3.7, 4BT and 4-53 seem to be the favorites for diesel? Though I guess if what's in it now works, then may as well go with it for the time being. I just would like it rolling!

So from Mike and AZ it sounds like I won't be chastised for making some changes/improvements. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll have it in my drive within the next 5 years so I can get some pictures. In the defense of the tranny place, I did tell them to take care of other customers cars since I had other projects to take care of.

nattieleather

It's your truck you can paint it bright pink with flower on it if you want....because no matter what you do, even if you researched and spent thousands on it to restore it to factory rolled off the assembly line condition some nimrod would criticize what you did. So if you want to make the truck into a camper for your outdoor adventures go for it. If the truck has a V8 motor in it then it's most likely a 318 replacement. If it is a flathead straight six then its a good chance it's the original motor. Still could have been changed..... who knows.

Good luck with your project.

pwrwagonfire

If the shop can't get the parts (like other people have said) get it back...M37 parts are not that hard to come by!

As you know, a 318 is not original...if I were you, I would go with the diesel! That is actually a pretty common mod to make to M37 and their variants. All hope is not lost!

ITs your truck...enjoy it, do what you wish! Make sure to post pics, and good luck!

m376x6

On the side of the Dodge V8 block is a series of numbers with either a 318 or 360 cast on it. This will tell you which engine is in the truck. If it is long and straight with the spark plugs and wires on the top it is a flat head six cylinder. If you're unsure about the differences get someone who is familiar with engines and makes to help you. If it is indeed a Dodge V8 there are two possibilities. It is a more than likely an NP435 transmission, which is all too common to even believe someone couldn't find all the parts for it. If it is a stock transmission it will be a military NP420 with a civilian NP420 input shaft and bearing retainer mounted on the front to mate it to a 318 bellhousing. The early series transmissions were not compatible with any civilian transmissions that had input shafts that wold mate up to a 318/360 bellhousing, this includes the slant six. If you are serious about getting help you'll need to get a digital camera and figure out how to post pics of what it is you have so people can identify the components for you. 5 years in a transmission shop is too long. Stop wasting yours and their time. It is possible that the engine isn't even Mopar. Won't know until someone who's knowledgeable can see it or pictures of it. Either late or early stock M37/M43 transmissions will not work behind a 318/360 bellhousing as the input shaft is too short. Word of note, since some folks aren't aware of it, a 318 and 360 flywheel will bolt up to either engine. But they are different in that a 318 flywheel is not balanced as the 318 is an internally balanced engine and the 360 is an externally balanced engine and requires a flywheel specially prepared. You can modify a 318 flywheel to work on a 360 as most reputable machine shops can do this for little money. If your M43 is a series before 1955 it is an early version and if you have a stock transmission you or they will never find an input shaft that will mate it to any LA or big block Mopar! Good luck.

Last edited:

JC Clark

If you want I can provide you with all of the maintanence manuals and parts manuals so that you can do some research as to the rebuild of the transmission. I can either email you, or mail them to you free of charge.

MTBjunkie

Thanks again for the continued info! I'm going on vacation for a while and will try to get some pics after a gets back. I just received the service manual CD today too.

Eric's hifim37

If you have a hydraulic clutch type bellhousing on your 318 those transmissions are hard to find due to a longer input shaft, also the clutch disc is fun to get too. I had to get my original clutch disc rebuilt by "clutch masters" because no one could get a "off the shielf" replacement. If you want to repair your exeisting set up I have a extra trans I'll sell, just PM me and we'll talk

Eric..

m376x6

The LA and slant 6 engines from the late 50's and through the 60" used the same hydraulic clutch bellhousings. The two transmissions in use were the NP420 and NP435 which both used the same length input shaft. There were two commonn sizes, a 1 inch 10 spline and
1 3/8 inch ten spline. The hydraulic bellhousings used a common 11 inch flywheel and pressure plate. Clutch discs for either 1 3/8 or 1 inch are common from good shops like Drivetrain. I got two from drivetrain recently which had been originally rebuilt at Pueblo Brake and Clutch. The NP435 won't be any good for you if plan on keeping the original transmission. The civilian NP420 and its input shaft and bearing retainer will bolt right up to M37's NP420. The difference is the shift lever mounting points on the side of the M37's type of NP420 and also the Military transmission had a PTO access on the drivers side. If you're not interested in the future of putting a winch on the M43, keeping the M37 NP420 is important. If not, I have seen a lot of folks just use a NP435, I've never done this so I can't say as how the shift tower will line up with M37 center cover. These hydraulic bellhousings use a direct drive starter mounted on the drivers side and like the set ups used into the late 60's are getting harder to find. The Sweptline Dodges of this era are very popular and getting a setup may not be all that hard to find if you know what you're looking for. If you'll let me know exactly what you have now or can send pictures so I can tell I can give you all the options you can use based on what you have. With an input in a M37 NP420 from a civilian tranny and a few tricks with the mounting ears on the front of the M37 transmission it will bolt up to the V8 bellhousing. You have the conversion of mechanical linkage to hydraulic linkage but it isn't that difficult provided you can cut and weld. There are lots of directions you can head, but none at this point is super easy. Once we know where you're at, we can get you the best info on what direction to take and other options that might appeal to you. My first conversion of an M37 started over 25 years ago and over the years I've seen some great jobs and unfortunately some real **** roll over the road. I'm getting ready to retsore my 29th M37/M43 truck and will be converting it to a 318 V8 as it doesn't have an engine. It a straight beautiful 1964 and will end up with power steering, and probably converted to 12 volts. I have run M37's with the civilian bellhousing for years and although the starter the hydraulic bellhousing uses can't be converted to 24 volts, I designed and used a system that started the truck on 12 volts and switched over to 24 once the engine start buton was released. Either the mechanical point or solid state ignition can be used on 24 vbolt with some circuitry in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks