• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint

kvflyer

I have heard some say, 4 gallons will do it all. But I have not gotten that far. I can drive to a place just above Philadelphia that has it and I will most likely buy 6 gallons because of the shipping cost. If I drive, it is only about 2 hours each way. Would clearly offset the cost of shipping and the Hazmat fees...

kvflyer

You may want to hold back for a while and wait for others to come forward. As I mentioned, I have not gotten to the painting stage yet. Maybe you can do a search here or at the M715 Zone to see what was said. Personally, I would rather have too much paint and not be pressured to get it 100% right the first time. It is only a truck!!!

mikey

I have heard some say, 4 gallons will do it all. But I have not gotten that far. I can drive to a place just above Philadelphia that has it and I will most likely buy 6 gallons because of the shipping cost. If I drive, it is only about 2 hours each way. Would clearly offset the cost of shipping and the Hazmat fees...
What place?

Thanks

Mikey

CGarbee

I have a large quantity of Gillespie paint in stock, in multiple colors... I can deliver to Syria, VA (site of the Graves Mountain Trailrides Labor Day weekend) either during the event or earlier (I'll be up there in a few weeks in order to do some more pre-rally prep...).

Or, we can make arrangements for you to snag it anywhere between Raleigh, NC (where I live) and Syria, VA (site of the rally)...

kvflyer

What place?

Thanks

Mikey
I called these guys some time ago. I imagine they are still there and will still let you come pick up the stuff. You may want to call them.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Army Jeep Parts Inc
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6500 Beaver Dam Road
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unit B
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Levittown, PA 19057

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Phone [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215-269-5014[/FONT]

bcowanwheels

if your doing a frame off better get 6 gallons of color, 4 gallons if doing a non frame off, 4 gal. primer both ways. this will give you 2-3 coats on bottom of everything and 2 top coats. also get 4 gallons xyline thinner for clean up. get paint from rapco in bowie , tx.
JMO
BOB
P/S REMEMBER IF YOU SANDBLAST STUFF IT TAKES A LITTLE MORE PRIMER, DONT TOUCH IT WITH BARE HANDS AND BE READY TO PAINT SOON AS ITS DONE.
BOB

kvflyer

if your doing a frame off better get 6 gallons of color, 4 gallons if doing a non frame off, 4 gal. primer both ways. this will give you 2-3 coats on bottom of everything and 2 top coats. also get 4 gallons xyline thinner for clean up. get paint from rapco in bowie , tx.
JMO
BOB
P/S REMEMBER IF YOU SANDBLAST STUFF IT TAKES A LITTLE MORE PRIMER, DONT TOUCH IT WITH BARE HANDS AND BE READY TO PAINT SOON AS ITS DONE.
BOB

Certainly what Bob said sounds like the way to do it. BTW, I found Xylene thinner is available from Home Depot for around $18. a gallon. I believe that Xylene is the recommended thinner for the paints that we use. I know that it is much more expensive than the regular paint thinner. But you don't want to take a chance with the investment and more importantly, your time. You really only want to do this one time...

bcowanwheels

Dont forget the xlyene, you,ll need it for thinning and clean up. You dont thin this paint much or not at all. Dont use nothing but that thinner as its what that paint is designed for if you want a quality job that will last when finished. It will shoot good straight out of the can with hvlp or traditional spray equip.
Bob

mikey

I called these guys some time ago. I imagine they are still there and will still let you come pick up the stuff. You may want to call them.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Army Jeep Parts Inc
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6500 Beaver Dam Road
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unit B
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Levittown, PA 19057

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Phone [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]215-269-5014[/FONT]
Awesome advice. I called today and they do in fact carry gillespie paint in stock. Anyone in the tri state area that wants to save on hazmat fees should call them.

Thank you kvflyer!

67Beast

I've also had great luck with using Napa Synthetic Enamel Reducer to thin all the Gillespie paint I've used over the last 6-7 years. It was the thinner that Army Jeep Parts recommends to use and it worked great everytime I used it. As for how much, I used 6 gallons on my complete frame off restoration. Every piece of metal on the truck was stripped and repainted. It is also a good idea to grab a few of the matching spray cans as they make it easy for touch up or that small part that needs to be added.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks