• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new 715 owner

O.D. Fever

Sorry for the post and please hold the use the search coments. I just bought a 715 from GSA out WIS. Old brush truck 13,000 miles looks ok, 13,000 miles runs. My question is ... What is the thing mounted on the drivers side hood front left? Is it I.R. light or spot light? Mine is gone.:-D Joe

KsM715

Go over to M715 Zone - Powered by vBulletin If I remember correctly, someone over there was making the flat mount and the guard and light shoud be avail. from just about any of the surplus dealers or any of the "jeep" specific suppliers out of Military Vehicles Magazine.

Edit: this pic is NOT my truck, just one of the many pictures I have collected. You can see the light and guard in the pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

kvflyer

Welcome! Glad that you got ownership and will soon have posession (see, I didn't spell that word correctly ;)) of your truck. I am sure that you will find much help here and on the M715 Zone site. The guys here are not full of bovine scat and are willing to help in any way that they can. When you get your truck, please share some pictures with us.

Merry Christmas,
Don Cavey

67Beast

Congrats, if you need to compair anything once you get it, I'm about an hour west of you in Hart, Mi. and work just west of you in Fremont. What are your plans with it? Restore it, or make a play toy with it? I've completely had mine apart on the frame-up resto so any questions or differences i should be able to help you with.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M715 is one awesome rig, if I had the $$$ I'd buy one to build into a trail rig with a 5.9 Cummins, 11.00x16 XL tires and the front winch. They reek military toughness, and they are easy to work on as well. Glad you saved one!

O.D. Fever

My plans are open at the moment.I need to get a good look at it. Hoping it is rust free or little rust. It will be painted O.D. , it is fire service Canary yellow (gag me). I don,t have a lot into it and it ran last year and comes with a spare. I can't wait until Thursday to get a look and start making plans. I need to finish the rear main seal on my 1009 so I can get in the pole barn.

Fishtail

Those trucks were pretty solid. I looked at them last Dec., so they sat there for at least 1 year. Not alot of rust on any of them. One has the 100 amp electrical setup. Which one did you get? Two were ex. USFS, and one of those had a big black number painted on the hood. Two other were ex FD.

Scott

O.D. Fever

I got the one with the big yellow tool box bolted to the drivers side of the box and the spare tire on pass side. They said 24 volt system, So i'm hoping its unmolested. Joe p.s. no big black number.

67Beast

Hopefully it's fairly unmolested. Make sure to take plenty of pics once it arrives. Let me know if you need anything for it, as I can check to see what extra pieces I have left laying around.

gem1410

Good purchase--I bought one in 1977 that I got from Lakehurst Naval air station in NJ--The truck was complete wth winch, racks, bows and canvas--I paid $1650--It looked new but had a wiped out cam--Turns out they all had soft cams that wore out fast--My big test drive the next week was from NJ to college in Miami Florida--It would only do 38 mph--I did not pass a car or truck the whole way-- found out about the cam the next summer after I drove it home doing 38 mph--changed the cam and it did 58 mph easy--One of the best trucks I owned--good luck and check the cam lobes for wear

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also heard that the Tornado engine, the stock engine in the -715, had an early form of overhead cam, and the cam was fine but it required a LONG chain to drive it, which tended to stretch over time. Not sure if that's right or not, I've only worked around one -715 engine and it hummed fine.

However, that being said, if I came across a project -715 with a good engine, I'd keep it. But if the engine went bad or needed replacement, I wouldn't bother rebuilding it, instead I'd go diesel all the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks