• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front winch oil?

03silverado

I'm doing some p.m. And would like to check the oil levels in my front winch I've looked over the T.M.'s but I can't figure out where to check add and what weight fluid to use if I need to add some

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i use the 90 wt gl-1 that i use in the gear boxes. i am thinking there are 2 plugs to check each side of the winch. but i might be mistaken. i would have to see my winch to make sure:jumpin:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not much. as long as its gl listed. the one 5 has a slightly more concentration of cleaners i was told. i dont run any syntetic oil just the reg one that is still high as the roof; last month a 5 gal was almost 80 bucks

Marlboro

I put straight Lucas in my deuce winch, Its had no ill effects and gets used almost weekly... It has slowed my leaky seals but not stopped them.

dburt

I used 'corn head grease' (which is used on some types of farm equipment) in my deuce winch and it worked great. Corn head grease is thicker then 90 wt, but is more 'liquid' then regular grease. The idea behind it is that it won't flow out around worn seals, but is more liquid and sticks to the gears like oil. I used a 50/50 mix of corn head grease and 90wt and it worked well.2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I used 'corn head grease' (which is used on some types of farm equipment) in my deuce winch and it worked great. Corn head grease is thicker then 90 wt, but is more 'liquid' then regular grease. The idea behind it is that it won't flow out around worn seals, but is more liquid and sticks to the gears like oil. I used a 50/50 mix of corn head grease and 90wt and it worked well.2cents
Quite a number of guys use 100% corn head, pump it in the bottom till it comes out the top

deuceman51

I've been using Lucus Hub Oil in all our steering gear boxes and winches and for the trucks we build for customers. I really love the stuff and have had great results with it. Seems to condition the seals and slow leaks also.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just about any gear oil will work.

I also run 100% corn head grease in mine. It's not full to the top but I put more in than if it had gear oil in it.