• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gear vendor vs. 700r4

MyAngry85

Now that my truck is finally up and running again, it's time for a 700r4 swap or a Gear Vendors for the TH400 on my 1008. Costs aside which setup would be better for all around abuse on the high way and off road. I am either going with a Monster transmissions 700r4 or a Gear Vendors for my TH400. I'll also be replacing my NP208 with an Atlas 4sp. I have a spare TH400, so if I go the Gear Vendors rt. I'll be rebuilding it eventually. Any one have any experience to throw my way?

HoJoPo

700r4 would be lighter than the TH400/gear vendors combo, and would be shorter, keeping your drive shafts closer to their current length.

The 700r4 has a lower first gear, so that's a benefit too. It would be a ready-rebuilt transmission, you wouldn't have to spend money on rebuilding the TH400 on top of the Gear Vendors price.

I have a 700r4 in my M1010, and it works great, gets moving a bit easier than it did stock, and it's so much quieter now on the highway (of course, that's mainly due to the overdrive).

If it were me, I'd do the 700R4/Atlas combo.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
700r4 would be lighter than the TH400/gear vendors combo, and would be shorter, keeping your drive shafts closer to their current length.

The 700r4 has a lower first gear, so that's a benefit too. It would be a ready-rebuilt transmission, you wouldn't have to spend money on rebuilding the TH400 on top of the Gear Vendors price.

I have a 700r4 in my M1010, and it works great, gets moving a bit easier than it did stock, and it's so much quieter now on the highway (of course, that's mainly due to the overdrive).

If it were me, I'd do the 700R4/Atlas combo.
I agree with all of this. Could be a weekend project or an afternoon project with a lift. The GV would require some fab work to boot.

HoJoPo, any issues with the weight and wind resistance using the 700 on the 1010? I'm doing the 700 in my Oh-8 and there is an M1010 in the works. I have enough 700 stuff for both swaps with spares on the shelf.

truck1

I've got an M1028 ,stock drivetrain with a 4" lift and 37"s. I don't know much about a 700r4,but I installed a GV and love it.The only fab work was a shortened drive shaft. I did all installation myself. Also needed to shim with flat bar 7/8th " my transfer case cross member. Simple install. I now cruise @ 70 mph @ 2310 RPM. Easier on motor and get 17-20 MPG. I like the TH400 tranny .It is bullet proof and proven with 6.2 ,drivetrain combo. Also GV is pricey.But mine NEW was 2800$ shipped. Their warranty is 2 years,and if you find a used complete unit un-serviceable,they will exchange with a new unit for 800$. On the down side, can not use in 4-wheel drive, but can split gears in 2 wheel drive. Check out their website.The have been around a long time. My local drive line shop cut and balanced my drive shaft for 85$. I love these trucks. Good luck.:)

HoJoPo

HoJoPo, any issues with the weight and wind resistance using the 700 on the 1010? I'm doing the 700 in my Oh-8 and there is an M1010 in the works. I have enough 700 stuff for both swaps with spares on the shelf.
No issues at all on flat terrain, I haven't had it on many hills yet other than freeway overpasses, and it was able to maintain 75 MPH over them without having to kick it down to 3rd.

The kickdown works great to pass as well.

HoJoPo

I don't think it could kick down to 3rd at that speed. You'd be turning something like 3700 rpm's, assuming stock gearing and tires.
True, I didn't expect it to do 75 MPH in 3rd. :) But I didn't have to kick it down to maintain 60 or 65, it was able to maintain speed OK.

Keith_J

The 700R4 has a lockup torque converter, reducing heat buildup in the fluid at highway speed. The GV overdrive will tend to increase the slip in the torque converter which only heats the transmission.

I would go with a 4L80/85 transmission over the 700R4 in the K30s. The 700 should be fine in the 1009.

NEWFDAD

The 700R4 or 4L80E with the G/V and a Turbo is the combo I'm considering for my M1028! We like to go camping here in Western Montana with an Alskan camper (about 2K #) pulling a M101a2 with a quad and other supplies. The mountain passes we go over can be 5 to 10 miles long and the G/V would allow me to get the ideal RPM for the climb and on the flats the overdrive would help me get closer to the 70mph speed limits.

pd2fly

I would go with a 4L80/85 transmission over the 700R4 in the K30s. The 700 should be fine in the 1009.
I, respectfully, totally DISAGREE with the choice of any of the electronic transmissions.

For me, the entire purpose of a CUCV is to avoid electronic/computer driven systems. I believe the military felt the same way.

If I didn't care about computer controlled engines/transmissions I would get a newer model Ford (yes, I said it).

Bruce

Iceman3005

I think the 700r4 is the better option over all. The gear venders is to expensive and parts are not cheap, the 4l80E is kinda pricey to get (unless you find one in a junkyard cheap) and the computer to control it is almost $1000 dollars..........ouch! I can pick up good 700r4's all day long for 100-200 dollars in good working condition. As for reliability the 700r4 is actually more stout than most people think. It can handle in stock form up to 300 HP, according to the rebuild manual I have. With a few simple inexpensive upgrades (about 250-300 dollars) it can take up to 500 HP. It has a great low first gear, plus an over drive gear. I have done 4 of these type of swaps (one of them is mine) in the cucv and everyone of them is extremely happy with the results, including me! One of them I put an np205 behind it, he is very happy with it.

Iceman3005

If your worried about breakage, there is a company out there that took the hard parts from a 4l65E and stuffed them in the 700r4, they used the 700r4 valve body for a fully hydraulic trans ( no electronics) that is extremely stout, according to there web site it can handle up to 1200 HP, there price is $2400 with torque convertor. They have a video of a 1/2 ton chevy truck they built pushing over 800 HP and running 9 seconds quarters using said transmission, they haven't broken anything yet.

sandcobra164

I've got a 4L60E, direct electronic valvebody decedent of a 700R4 in my Silverado. It has 184,000 miles on it, still holding fine, fluid looks good and we've loaded it down a time or two, most towed is 8,500 pounds or so not including the truck. I think the 700 would do just fine in a truck with 4.56 gears, the TH 400 is certainly bullet proof but the truck needs and overdrive. The 6.2 puts out less torque than the 5.7 Vortech Gasser and they put 700's in them until they made the 4L60E. The 4L65E is also a remake of the 700R4, I have one in my WS6 Ram Air Trans Am, it's should be putting out 350 HP or so and at 113,000 plus miles, it's holding just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks