• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockers or no Lockers how do you tell !

ProPower

Does anybody know if there is an exact way to identify the 900 series trucks that have lockers ! I've read that the marine corps trucks have them, Is this true! Can you identify a Marine corps truck or a locked up truck by the VIN!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jack up both rear axles on one side. Make sure you have the air pressure built up enough to allow the brakes to disengage. With the t-case in neutral or the trans in neutral or both. Try rotating the wheels. If it's an open diff, they'll just spin and rotate the driveshaft. If it's locked, you won't be able to spin them. You must have both rear axles off the ground since they're interconnected though. Doesn't matter what side you use either. Just so long as both rear axles on one side are off the ground.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Carfax, I mean Carnac, might be able to find some history about the truck as well for you. But what I mentioned will be the ultimate truth.

Artisan

The drivers side door will have a placard telling you to be carefull etc.

I know where there are several locker rear end assemblies for 34" frames
that are on military M vehicles
and I do believe the owner will sell them. If anyone is interested
there in Southern California. I know they will not be giving them away.
I saw them and they were all on low mileage California almost rust free
trucks. Act fast or they will be gone.

If your seriously interested tell me what you would pay for a
set of axles w/ springs trunnions etc I do believe and I will
pass it on.

There is a fork lift there so you could send a truck for them.
If your a logger or a full time sand / beach guy they would
be incredible to have IMO.

(If you get them be sure to ask for a door placard too! )

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are also some Army trucks, which were originally issued to USMC, that have them. This one had the winch removed and the data plate changed from a 925 to a 923. I have since restored it to its original configuration.

Attachments

ProPower

I've done the whole game of jacking them up and turning the tires . I was just looking to see if there was another way to do it during my pre-purchase inspections ! You'd think there would be some sort of VIN identification! How do you tell if it was a marine corps truck!

Artisan

On my truck there is a placard where a glove box would be
in a civvy truck and it says it was a USMC truck, then look
at the drivers door, inside, top, towards the front for a
riveted on placard explaining to the driver the vehicle is
equipped w/ lockers...I think it is that easy.

I would guess that it is mandatory that the door placard be there
in all trucks w/ locking rear ends since they handle differently.

In a few weeks I will try to remember to photo this placard I speak of for you.
It is like 2.5" x 3.5" long, aluminum colored, 4 rivets and I think red lettering.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many USMC trucks can also be id visually quickly by the paperclips if still intact on the front bumper or the remains when cut off. Also most tend to be iso beds. I think only USMC used the iso beds.

commandojeff

Just cause a truck has a plaque saying it has lockers, doesn't mean it has lockers. When these trucks are rebuilt, a lot of small details are left behind. Better test it to make sure. 2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks