• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1999 CUCV II Tahoe

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yesterday we drove down to Massachusetts to pick up the CUCV II. The weather was pretty bad on the way down, but was a little better on the return trip. We had a "guaranteed reservation" for a u haul trailer just east of the base, but when we showed up they didn't have it. So they sent us to another u-haul, that also didn't have a trailer. :mad: We ended up using the towbar to get it off base, and then put it on a trailer after going up the road a while.

Apparently it has a bad fuel pump. I charged the batteries, won't start, but the radio and most of the lights work. The slave cable outlet is disconnected, and the batteries are wired in parellel. The truck came with the owner's manual supplement, and an armed forces ticket book. The body is in great shape, except for the hood. I don't see any rust on it. I'll update this thread as work gets done.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send me some pics of the wiring and fusebox under the hood. I should be able to tell how they have returned it to 12v.

Last edited:

goodguyzy

Ive spent a lot of time working on my 350 vortec motor. There is a test port for the fuel on the side of the throttle body. Mine seems to eat fuel filters and if you dont change it in time you have to replace the in tank fuel pump. Good luck on your project.

Stonepicker1

Looks like it had the GL forklift by the dent on the side of the truck or maybe my eyes are getting bad......if so, make sure you check your drive shaft for damage. I had to have a new one made for $350 with new U-joints.

It will take a little time to get all the kinks out of it. but thats part of making it yours.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Send me some pics of the wiring and fusebox under the hood. I should be able to tell off they have returned it to 12v.
Ok thanks Warthog, I'll post some tomorrow.

Looks like it had the GL forklift by the dent on the side of the truck or maybe my eyes are getting bad......if so, make sure you check your drive shaft for damage. I had to have a new one made for $350 with new U-joints.

It will take a little time to get all the kinks out of it. but thats part of making it yours.
It does look like a dent in those pics, but its actually a reflection in the paint. It was sitting in front of the maintenance shop, apperently they did some work to it, including a drive shaft but decided to get rid of it because of the fuel pump. They checked to see if they had the manuals for it, but they didn't.

ryan77

Nice truck! I was in the security forces but we drove crown vics! Id give my right arm for that truck. Keep me in mind if you ever want to part with it!!

Stonepicker, GL didn't get their forklifts near this one. It looks great with only real damage being a dent on the hood. A big thanks to Schmittvt for driving down through a snowstorm and dealing with the idiots at U-Haul.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they did convert the starter back to 12v.Question is do you want it back to the military 12/24v or leave it as is?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you still have the Duvac converter behind the drivers seat?I'm working on a wiring diagram for the starting and charging system. I'll send you a copy.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Do you still have the Duvac converter behind the drivers seat?
The convertor is still there, it is at the back opposite the spare tire.

I'm working on a wiring diagram for the starting and charging system. I'll send you a copy.
Thanks Warthog, I really appreciate your help.

The gas tank is halfway out now, I hate winter.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks