• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939 Series Functional ROPS

Artisan

Has anyone ever built a functional roll bar, as in maybe a "B" pillar type structure
w/ strongbacks (?) for a large MV like a Deuce or in my case, a 939Series 5 Ton?

I am considering doing it. Don't laugh... :) I have done such things.
Yep, same screen name, " Artisan " .

I hear guys die quickly in these things in a roll, I can foresee guys living in
these things in a roll where there is a ROPS. (Roll Over Protective Structure ) .
This kinda interests me. I have a CAD program and I have Bendtech software too!

Case and point, although much smaller, I made one for a small tractor where others
Pfft'd at it. It does not look that hard to make...it actually looks easier then the
full cage roll bar I made for my Lil' BX25 tractor. I "am" betting my life on what I built.
There is NO REASON why one can not be made for an M925A1 / M939 Series truck, It is screaming for it.
Just look at it! How cool would a rock solid roll bar be for these things? Cool is great,
functional is "greater" IMO.

I think I might want to go w/ 6x6x.250 wall structure or bigger, maybe internally beefed in sections,
maybe SQUARE perhaps. THIS proves that things like this CAN be done.

A roll bar for these things would ROCK. Frame to frame, over the top
w/ supports to the rear perhaps, would be off the charts cool...

Anyone have links to roll bars actually built for these beasts?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Because of fatal accidents involving some 6x6s, this has been discussed. It was decided that it would take such a drastic measure on a truck that it wasn't feasable. Let me see if I can find the thread...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was in the active Army I was a Master Driver ( Drivers Training Instructor/License Examiner) and often had to assist with military vehicle accident investigations.
Most of the deaths from truck roll overs were from troops riding in the back of the truck....not the crew. Wearing seatbelts is mandatory in all military vehicles to include non-tatical support type.
Anytime you are in a tactical vehicle you have to wear your Kevlar Helmet.
There were several fatal accidents while I was stationed in Korea and most resulted from the crew not following Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) by ignoring seat belt requirements.
I never saw a driver killed in a roll over if he was wearing a seatbelt.

quickfarms

I have a much simpler solution. Install an ISO bed. Mount a container in the front. This will work until the bed shears off so you have to add additional bolts to secure the bed which will reduce the frame flexing and prevent you from getting into the really rough spoofs off road.

Option two would be to shorten the bed and mount a knuckle boom crane in the truck.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing but i thought it would require to much material to make it support 20,000 lbs while keeping it under the original top or behind it w/o looking wierd. If you can figure it out where it looks stock please tell me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks