• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting the 101 to work - hauling firewood.

MarcusOReallyus

Well, here's my 101 doing what I got it for - hauling firewood. I heat entirely with wood, and don't pay for any of it. Well, not cash, anyway. I pay in time and labor, a bit of fuel and maintenance to haul it, cut it, and split it.

I watch for freebies on Craigslist, and if I had the time, I could bury my house in free firewood from CL. A lot of it is in town, and I make the arrangements first, then take the trailer in to work with me, load up after work, and bring it home. Saves gas that way.

Got a load very close to me yesterday. Fellow has logs left from clearing his lot, and I judge there's 3 or 4 cords of seasoned oak there. It's all mine! :mrgreen:

The first 4 pics are a load from last summer. Tree cutters will give a price break if they don't have to haul the wood away, so homeowners often just have them stack it and then give it away. Sometimes, they wait a year or two.

Some of it is some pretty big wood. The root flare on this one was a challenge for one guy. Take a look at how I managed it with some ramps, a 1000# hand truck, and a mil-surp cargo strap.

The last one is from yesterday, the first of the loads from the log pile. Sitting on my driveway, waiting to be unloaded.

This trailer is paying for itself, and it's a pleasure to work with. With the purchase price, registration, and converting to 12v for the lights, I've got about $450 in it. Can't beat that!

:beer:

Attachments

kelley

Nice job Marcus,
I send about 5 chords up the chimney every winter, all gathered for free. Your going to get hurt messing with those 400 pound cheese wheels.I haul my splitter to the wood and deal with it on site. I'm currently building out an old 506 to haul wood,dogs and trash. Nice looking trailer!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great haul. Certainly one of the most useful trailers in the DOD invetory. Perhaps one of those small pickup cranes in the corner would help with the heavier stuff. I suffer much from back damage, not fun!

Scarecrow1

I really like to see these trailers still kicking butt. I had a 101a1 and man that thing would hold a load like nothing else would . I still want to kick myself every time I think of the day I sold it for twice what I paid for it ..........Good job

MarcusOReallyus

Great haul. Certainly one of the most useful trailers in the DOD invetory. Perhaps one of those small pickup cranes in the corner would help with the heavier stuff. I suffer much from back damage, not fun!

Yeah, I have thought about one of those. Sure would help.

Most of my wood gets loaded for me by a monster grapple. This thing will lift 40" oak logs 20 feet long. It's a log processing business, near Dulles airport. He gets the logs in off the constructions sites, grades them and trims out the bad stuff, then sells them to lumber mills. He winds up with a lot of butt ends, crotches, etc, that he can't sell. He either gives it away, or pays someone to haul it away, AND pays dump fees.

So, he gives it away. I drop by on my way to work, one of the guys loads me up with the big grapple, and away I go. When I get home, my boys unload it. :mrgreen:

Can't wait to get my M1028 running so I can pick up some bigger loads!