• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MV m886 1977

poof

Dirty Hippie
These are the only pics i have so far..
had it delivered to Wisconsin state line .. then drove it home 100 mile trip... 8.6 MPG.. sat for 2 years.... ran nice as far as I could tell...missing one upper tray for litters... am working on light in back.. the 3 way switch for B/O is toast.. need a new one, are they the same as all the others? 12v verses 24 v?..
bit of rust here and there.. not bad... will be painting in the 3 color pattern of the late 70,s and to mid 80's.. I have a couple old pictures of a pair of them in back ground, during a change of command cerimony band and all in my Germany days..
need to find a correct gas heater for back compartment also.. its missing..
I was shocked to find it has a 30 or so Gal tank... ( $98 ) owch!.. was thinking was a 20 gal tank..
has a exhaust leak on right side mmanifold.. worked the bolts loose already.. back lights are working on left side only .. break..turn signal.. and back up light... may be bulbs only.. left side wires are all buggered up.Need lense covers.. one each back up lights and red run light cover... and one black out marker for back.... to cold this week to mess with it all... its killing me... where would I find/ buy/copy a TM on the ambulance ? m886 spicific. back compartment wireing and lighting and heater stuff? 266-20 is the best or the -10 ? i have looked a bit at the files located here on SS .
Only reason i did this and cheeted on the m2 halftrack rehab, was this didnt seem to need a bunch of work to make road worthy..
Will have more pictures soon.
Thanks
J.P.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a spare M886 gas heater.
They came stock with the 20 gal tank just like the M880's
My old M886, got 9 mpg.
Bad exhaust manifold design, they typically blow the gasket under the center ports on the pass side.
May have a couple usable lenses, refer to pic in the "litter post". Those are what the originals look like. (I'll look once the temp gets above 0°F)
Also have a spare surgical light (4ft fluorescent).
Later. I'll check to see what I have for the wiring diagrams etc. in the back,
right now I'm thinking the -20P manual.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M886 ambulaces are particularly cool. Your looks very workable. I especially like the tall cab and passthrough door. Later today when I can get pics I will introduce the newest member of my family which has a very short pass through door.

poof

Dirty Hippie
I have a spare M886 gas heater.
They came stock with the 20 gal tank just like the M880's
My old M886, got 9 mpg.
Bad exhaust manifold design, they typically blow the gasket under the center ports on the pass side.
May have a couple usable lenses, refer to pic in the "litter post". Those are what the originals look like. (I'll look once the temp gets above 0°F)
Also have a spare surgical light (4ft fluorescent).
Later. I'll check to see what I have for the wiring diagrams etc. in the back,
right now I'm thinking the -20P manual.
"they typically blow the gasket under the center ports on the pass side."
BINGO... thats where mine is leaking...Keep me posted on the stuff/parts.. warmer temps will be here soon...:beer:
J.P.

Elwenil

The exhaust gasket problem is usually related to the manifold warping over time. Having the head and manifold machined back flat will cure it for a long time, though you can usually get away with using a thicker, better quality gasket. Remember that from the factory, the exhaust manifolds did not have any gasket between them and the head.

poof

Dirty Hippie
ya no gasket on it now. will pick up a set tomorrow and install.. see if that ends the leak ..
Bob I called the number. just seemed to ring .. never let it go to a message machine....
call me I would like to chat with you on your stuff..
any time. # was in the PM i sent.
Thanks
J.P.

poof

Dirty Hippie
P080313_1650.jpgP080313_1651.jpgP080213_1515.jpgP080313_1653[01].jpg
will post more interior pictures when its done this week. am having difficulty getting the interior black out dome light to work/ no power .. and havent messed with the 4 foot florecent tube yet al all...but every thing else is in working order.. missing one rear red black out marker and one clear back up light cover.... its been a hoot working on it so far... another sucessful paint job in the driveway with the deuce compressor and a $20 paint gun/& hand cut stencils...and brush then rollered whitebox and red cross stuff...
J.P.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nice job poof . Thanks for the inside shot it reminded me I haven't loaded any of the litter back rests to take up to Iola.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Looks great. I thought you were going to go with the 4 color cammo like the pic you posted?
Next painting.. Ineglected to show a roof top picture. I need to put on a new steel roof..
its just painted well enough for ground level view.. for now. I will paint top later this summer after new roof install.. could go tri color camo then.. but think I will enjoy it OD for a while first.. lots of holes in roof top steel... P051213_1306.jpg

steelandcanvas

They make a roof sealant for RV's, comes in silver or white, might work in your application. White would definitely reduce the inside temperature of the box. I can't tell but did you leave the original 16.5 wheels on, or go to 16's? Nice job! Want to paint mine?

countcv61

View attachment 444602View attachment 444603View attachment 444604View attachment 444605
will post more interior pictures when its done this week. am having difficulty getting the interior black out dome light to work/ no power .. and havent messed with the 4 foot florecent tube yet al all...but every thing else is in working order.. missing one rear red black out marker and one clear back up light cover.... its been a hoot working on it so far... another sucessful paint job in the driveway with the deuce compressor and a $20 paint gun/& hand cut stencils...and brush then rollered whitebox and red cross stuff...
J.P.
Looks fantastic!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks