• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wierd M923 battery box at BFR

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was out at BFR today to drop off twlinks armored drivers hatch cover and to pay Glen for WWII M10 trailer we saved from the crusher. The weather was great so went roaming around the Mil yard and came across this battery box on a junker M923 it sits on top of the BII box. I have never seen another one like it has T handles front and back that hold it in and also had a hasp on the top to lock it. It has heavy duty slides that would make for easy battery maintenance. The rest of the truck is in bad shape and is in line for crushing, I should have pulled it, but don't have a 923. If one of you wants it, better call Glen.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The up-armored trucks had the batteries remoted outside but the boxes looked different from that pic. Did the truck still have the bench seat in it? If not maybe they remoted the batteries to install radios or something else that required more space in the cab. For those unaware of it the batteries in the 900 series 5 tons are under the passenger seat.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw some gl pictures of up armored standard cab not Frankenstein M931/2 tractors at Shelby that had the batteries in boxes similar to that next to the 5th wheel. Only saw 2 of them that were equipped like that.

They had ballistic windshields, air ride seats, and bolt on armor doors and a rear bolt on cab plate. they also had a reinforcement plate under the hood. I am guessing these were the first attempts at uparmoring.

I was astonished they had even slipped through. One got sold to a scapper in New Orleans but I never found him.

Csm Davis also saw them. I wonder if he has pics?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gl pics of up armor m931

This truck sold for $2350 with all these goodies.

Attachments

commandojeff

I saw some gl pictures of up armored standard cab not Frankenstein M931/2 tractors at Shelby that had the batteries in boxes similar to that next to the 5th wheel. Only saw 2 of them that were equipped like that.

They had ballistic windshields, air ride seats, and bolt on armor doors and a rear bolt on cab plate. they also had a reinforcement plate under the hood. I am guessing these were the first attempts at uparmoring.

I was astonished they had even slipped through. One got sold to a scapper in New Orleans but I never found him.

Csm Davis also saw them. I wonder if he has pics?
Like this one?

Attachments

commandojeff

I have no idea what it is. I was told that it is the "new" version? But the new version is the FMTV style truck. I looked at this truck and it had the batteries where the ones are in this thread. The roll bar is very cool. You are right though, there was no armor on this truck. It was in perfect condition like it just rolled off the assembly line. Very interesting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks