• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I got M1102

LMT19

I got M1102 and towed home over 50 miles. Once I got home, I found/hand touch axles ends hot and smell something burn both side of wheels. I guess it was due to brake lock issue even I leveled the handle brake in right up position. I had not used any electrical wire connection yet. So it may be due to the hydraulic brake locked inside? Please anyone can help me?

By the way, I have ordered the Military Trailer Adapter X-6034 from www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com‏ which says 12 pins (trailer) to 7 pins (civilian receiver). Hope once I connect, the hydraulic brakes will be right. Otherwise, I may need to tow to some places to look at.

Thanks,

Larry

Today I connected trailer adapter X6034 and it works, right/left turning lights up, emmegency lights working, break lights working, except rear back light (while lights). I have not changed 24v to 12 lights yet. So it may looks dim.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Larry check the break a way device if it is not all the way down, if any of the notches are engaged it will build pressure going down the road. Ask me how I know! Next would be brake shoe adjustment then wheel bearings.
Glen types faster!!!
:ditto:
First picture GOOD second picture BAD!

Attachments

Last edited:

LMT19

Larry check the break a way device if it is not all the way down, if any of the notches are engaged it will build pressure going down the road. Ask me how I know! Next would be brake shoe adjustment then wheel bearings.
Glen types faster!!!
Thanks.
I put break handle down to the level. I think I need to remove the ties and take a deep look and clean inside. The problem is that I do not have experience to do this. I might be two a few miles to a shop.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the trailers electrical system and the brake system have nothing to do with each other. Plugging in the lights will not fix/make the brakes work.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just added pictures on the safety trip.
The parking brake for towing should be pointing up, vertical for towing, level or horizontal the brake is on.

LMT19

I do not know where to check the safety trip like the pictures. Can you please make a large background of picture so I will know where to check it.
Thanks,

ARYankee

I do not know where to check the safety trip like the pictures. Can you please make a large background of picture so I will know where to check it.
Thanks,
it's on the tongue between the pintle ring and cargo section of the trailer. You may want to look over the tech manuals because they will more than likely answer your questions.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
are you kidding me

This is it, please read the manual. BTW this picture is a M101A3 but the trip is the same as a M1102

Attachments

3dAngus

Get a laser thermometer from Harbor freight. They're about $20 on sale and really cool.
After riding it around the block, measure the hub for bearings, then measure the brake area from the underneath inside on the brake area.
Whichever is hotter is the problem. If its the brakes, they could catch on fire. If its the bearings, the wheel could fall off going down the road. I would not drive it more then a block or two. I have had both happen to me on trailers before I got into MV trailers. You live and learn.

LMT19

Safety trip status

Glen types faster!!!
First picture GOOD second picture BAD!
I have checked the safety trip (picture attached).
From the manual, I realized the importance of hydraulic break system. have pasted some information below:

HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM.

HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEM.

1. The hydraulic brake system applies the brakes automatically when the towing vehicle slows or stops, or when the trailer breaks away from the towing vehicle.
  2. The hydraulic brake system consists of a hydraulic brake actuator assembly, hydraulic brake tube assemblies, hose assembly, and wheel cylinders to activate the service brakes.
  3. The major components of the hydraulic brake system and their function are as follows:
    1. (1) Lunette Ring. Attaches to towing vehicle pintle hook. The lunette ring controls the master cylinder assembly When the towing vehicle goes forward, the lunette ring is pulled and the brakes are released. When the towing vehicle slows down, the weight of the trailer pushes the lunette ring into the towing vehicle and the brakes are applied.
    2. (2) Master Cylinder Assembly. Changes mechanical motion of lunette ring and breakaway lever into hydraulic pressure. It has a built-in shock absorber to prevent jerky lunette ring movement. The damper also slows the rate of hydraulic pressure increase when the towing vehicle backs up, thus allowing the trailer to be slowly backed up for short distances on level terrain.
    3. (3) Breakaway Chain. Attaches to towing vehicle. It will pull the breakaway lever up if the trailer and towing vehicle uncouple.
    4. (4) Breakaway Lever. Controls the master cylinder. When the lever is up, the brakes are applied. When it is down, the lunette ring controls the master cylinder.
    5. (5) Leaf Spring. Holds the breakaway lever up. The breakaway lever must be reset any time it has been pulled up.
    6. (6) Hydraulic Brake Tubes and Hoses. Transfer hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder assembly to the wheel cylinder.
    7. (7) Wheel Cylinder. Changes hydraulic pressure into mechanical motion. When the wheel cylinder is pressurized, it pushes the brake shoes against the brake drum.
    8. (8) Brake Shoes. Are pushed against the brake drum by the wheel cylinder.

So I open up the master cylinder assembly and break fluid level is good. I sudden push back Lunette, there is an tiny old stream up (indicated system working well). But I can not check the whole brake since I have to remove the wheel out to check/clean inside of break system.

I have no idea the reason to cause the heat buildup when I tow it home yesterday. Any other thing you would suggest before I haul it over to local shop (I guess most will not be capable of doing military trailer).

Thanks,

Larry

M1102 Master cylinder safety device.jpg

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
trailer bearings are trailer bearings are trailer bearings. Makes no difference, military or civilian. Any decent repair shop can pull, inspect, repack/repair bearings. When you put the hand brakes on, can you hear something moving in the drum? It is possible the shoes are stuck/dragging on the drums. Check the hand brake section od the TM for a description of how they work.

LMT19

Get a laser thermometer from Harbor freight. They're about $20 on sale and really cool.
After riding it around the block, measure the hub for bearings, then measure the brake area from the underneath inside on the brake area.
Whichever is hotter is the problem. If its the brakes, they could catch on fire. If its the bearings, the wheel could fall off going down the road. I would not drive it more then a block or two. I have had both happen to me on trailers before I got into MV trailers. You live and learn.
I will get one from them soon. I just put my hand on the center of wheel, hot; and the whole wheel/rim, hot, with burning smell, BOTH side. The hot level is same to the whole rim/wheel. I guess the break line at both side not set properly. I also noticed the right wheel locked when I made sharp right turning. Based on your previous experience, what I need to do next? I may need to remove the wheel out and check but I need to find right Jack first. Any idea to find it or them (need 4).

LMT19

trailer bearings are trailer bearings are trailer bearings. Makes no difference, military or civilian. Any decent repair shop can pull, inspect, repack/repair bearings. When you put the hand brakes on, can you hear something moving in the drum? It is possible the shoes are stuck/dragging on the drums. Check the hand brake section od the TM for a description of how they work.
Thanks. it is possible reason since I felt bump a while when I drive off the packing lot. It looks wheel locked particular making sharp turnings. I will listen the Handbrake engaging sound. But I had a test. Release handbrake (full up or raised position) will move trailer for/backword; Engaged handbrake (full horizontal level) will stop whee move. It indicates the handbrake works?

No sound noticed when handbrake up/down! So it may be stuck/dragging on the drums. It is beyond my capability of doing/cleaning/adjust. It needs to be done by a shop.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks