• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overhead console, CB, stereo and VOX com set

Finely got around to buying a Voice activated com set. Decided as long as I had to install it might as well go all out.

So I built a Overhead console with a stereo, CB radio, Docking station for my android phone and the VOX controller.

The radio, Cb and android play through the headsets. If I find I use the Cb a lot I will wire it to work off the headset mics.

Also put in a cubby hole. A 300 watt power inverter and 12v plugs.

I had to jack up the caved in roof so there was room.

Then it was as easy as sliding it into place.

I have to finish up some wiring and build hangers for the headsets and its done.
IMG_20130130_110107.jpgIMG_20130130_110917.jpgIMG_20130130_142450.jpgIMG_20130131_141959.jpgIMG_20130131_142009.jpgIMG_20130207_144921.jpgIMG_20130207_145022.jpgIMG_20130207_145031.jpgIMG_20130207_145101.jpg

(Prov 12:4 [The World English Bible])
A worthy woman is the crown of her husband, but a disgraceful wife is as rottenness in his bones.

Last edited:

nlauffer

That looks great. Did you build it completely out of wood? All plywood or 1x? I was wanting to mount my vhf and uhf radio up high, but I have a fiberglass cab. I like the idea of this. I could put both radios, my 6 switch box, and siren switches all up there. How did you mount it? Or did I not look at the pictures close enough.

That looks great. Did you build it completely out of wood? All plywood or 1x? I was wanting to mount my vhf and uhf radio up high, but I have a fiberglass cab. I like the idea of this. I could put both radios, my 6 switch box, and siren switches all up there. How did you mount it? Or did I not look at the pictures close enough.
It sits on the lip of the roof over the doors. The front is 3/4 popular laminated to 3/4 plywood. Needed strength to carry the sagging roof. The bottom is 1/2 plywood. I am going to put a small angle bracket on the center windshield post and run a screw up into each end to secure it.

nlauffer

Thanks. Mine would be for a fire truck and will see some pretty rough ridin. I need it to be well mounted. I think what you are doing is a great addition. These trucks don't have alot of good placement for add ons.

nlauffer

Well it's official, I have to make one now. I really like how that turned out and I think it will work perfect for my application. Couple questions, though. What are the rough dimensions? Doesn't have to be specific, just for a starting point. How do you like the wood? The comment about aluminum sounds nice, but I have never welded aluminum. A couple of my firefighters can, though. Also, wood is more accessible in my neighborhood. Aluminum would be at least a 30 minute drive if they have any and possibly hour and a half. Thanks for the idea and I hope mine comes out as nice.

Maverick1701

This console idea is PERFECT for what I am looking to do. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

How "deep" is the console from front to back? It is difficult to tell in the pictures (it looks close to 8-10in).

Last edited:
This console idea is PERFECT for what I am looking to do. I absolutely LOVE it!!!

How "deep" is the console from front to back? It is difficult to tell in the pictures (it looks close to 8-10in).
9 3/4" deep. The only thing I would point out is in a bad wreck your head will slam right into it. I chose to risk it.

Thank for the complement.

John

Maverick1701

9 3/4" deep. The only thing I would point out is in a bad wreck your head will slam right into it. I chose to risk it.

John
thank you sir! I am going to attempt to build a similar design for my M35A2. thanks for the inspiration/design idea....I doubt I could have thought of that on my own.

Maverick1701

John
Disregard this post. I tested some cords and it (the port I was asking about) is a 3.5mm jack. I should have checked before asking.
I am slowly geting together all the pieces/parts for my version of your console.

I probably won't go the full 9.75 in deep but it is going to be pretty similar.

Last edited: