• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess I know why it won't start...

ReubenJames

I aways thought the starter sounded a little funny and was going to pull it out for a rebuild. The it quit working a couple of weeks ago (would just spin and not engage) so today was a little warmer than it has been and I decided to go pull it. This is what I found after it a got it off.

Attachments

ReubenJames

Yes it had a rear brace. I haven't had the truck that long and have not driven it much but every time I started it is sound like it had a high pitch whine when the starter engaged. I am taking it to a starter shop I know to see if they can rebuild it and get another housing for it. I would like to stay with the direct drive if I can.

Barrman

Your local NAPA store either has a 27MT nose cone in stock or can get one in a few days. They list for about $15. At least that is what I paid for one a few weeks ago at a NAPA.

The -20 takes you through a rebuild step by step. 27MT rebuild parts are around $30 on the internet. The hardest part of the entire process and the only thing harder than taking it off the truck is getting the collar back on the lock ring that holds the Bendix on. The thing that looks like a thick washer in your photo.

MarcusOReallyus

Hey, no problem. A little polishing compound and that'll buff right out! :mrgreen:

I'd take a look at that rear brace. Was it putting some stress on the starter? Trying to pull it out of alignment?

ReubenJames

Rear brace looked OK and I think the mystery has been solved. I took the starter to my starter/alternator guy and after a little cleaning we determined that the starter is a Duralast DL8401S ( 12 volt starter) that some previous knucklehead had put in. The truck is still 24 volt so I am sure that is what caused the failure. Too much juice and not enough starter to handle it. My starter guy is building me a gear reduction drive starter in the correct voltage. So hopefully all will be as it should once I get it put back in.

JGBallew

There are some "aftermarket" starters floating around that are plain junk. Beware of them as well. They too will do the "spin, no engage" routine without breaking the nose housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks