• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bobbed deuce, lockout hubs...worth it?

ccf460

I am starting to drive my project as it comes close to completion. I am thinking about adding some lockout hubs. My question , does it help steering effort on a bobbed truck? All the posts I read were always referencing stock 3 axle trucks. Hoping someone has bobbed their truck, then put lockout hubs on it, and can tell me the difference. Thanks.

caliber1

I'm looking to put some on mine as well. Not a bobber, but have heard from multiple sources how much better it handles on paved surfaces with the front unlocked. How many people are making the hubs now? I know there was a backorder from Ouverson for a while.

welldigger

I drove a bobber a while back that had mile marker selectro lock out hubs on it. It actually drove pretty nice. That being said I have never drove a bobber without lockouts. I do know a set of avm lock outs are going on my 6x6 in the near future.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you try driving the truck around with the drive flanges off? This should give you the same effect as unlocking hubs and you can then determine if the benefits are worth the investment.
I wouldn't recomend doing it , unless you plan doing a complete front axle service. You will lose grease out of the bearings and collect dirt in them . Would you throw your bearing in the dirt then install it ? it would have the same effect.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
General Hoefler,
I'm looking into installing lockout hubs on my A3, - what brand did you go with and did you modify the CTIS guard cover?
Thanks
JC

Hoefler

IMG_2386.jpgI got my lock outs from C&C Equipment. I think I paid about $550.00 for the set. They came with a new gasket and took 10 minutes a side to install. You will need to modify the CTIS cover-its simple however. I simply cut out a larger radius to clear the hub of the lock out. You will need to trim the two small brackets that secure the CTIS cover to the lock out hub flange. I did it with a small cut off wheel and a plastic lid to trace a nice radius.
I made the mistake of driving my truck through the wood with the front covers off-the piping got snagged on brush. The covers really do protect to plumbing.
You will be happy with the addition of lock outs. It wont make a huge difference, but a noticeable one. Truck will handle and steer better. Low speed steering effort is reduced a bit as well.
Picture shows the modified cover. My cut-out was a little large-it could have easily snugged the lock out a lot tighter. Would have looked better as well.
Pete

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete,
Thank you very much for the quick response/info. Picture is worth a 1K words. I'm interested in the AVM units myself, C&C seems to be the only reasonable source.
Thanks again
Joe

welldigger

Find someone who builds rock crawlers with the Rockwell axles. They sometimes have better prices on lockout hubs and diff lockers than the surplus dealers. Also cash seems to help reduce the price.....don't know why.:mrgreen:

ICAT

I got an extra set of hubs for $50, went to the local community college and had them machined out 10 thousandth over for free. good to go. just takes alittle extra time to engage the front axle but time i have, money i don't

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks