• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M817 Air Blowing out of Top of Transmission

Construction

On the passenger side top of the transmission where the air lines connect to the transfer case - air is blowing out between the the connections where the lines go into the top of the transmission.

Any body know what is wrong?

Cannot operate the truck anymore.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Poppet valves. A search will yield you a lot of info. The valve controls the sprag in the t-case. You might get away with removing it and tearing apart and cleaning. Otherwise you might have to rebuild or replace it.

Construction

In between the two valves where the airlines connect on top of the transmission - there is a female coupler that moves up and down. It looks like there should be a male air line or similar going to it. What does that do?

Vintage iron

Patracy hit it on the head! But what cause the valves to blow? What is you air pressure gauge ready. It should not go over 90 PSI. Are you getting any oil out of your air drain?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the(shuttle valve) air supply line and spray in some lube(wd40 or whatever). Install the hose. Air up and shift from 1 to N to R about 30 times.

The supply line comes off the passenger side frame rail.

The center port is the exhaust. It does not get anything attached to it.

Never seen too much air pressure affect it

Vintage iron

I have had a few truck come in with this issue. One had a non functional regulator that was supplying to much pressure to the system. This extra air pressure can blow out the poppet valves. The reason I asked about oil in the air system is because if the air compressor is going it will pump oil into the air system and the oil will screw up the air system.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I though I read when that is happening it means the seals are bad on the air actuator on the t-case.

Construction

Oil and air pressure are fine. I have had issues with the front axle engaging and not for awhile. Tried taking off air supply and adding oil - no result.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i though i read when that is happening it means the seals are bad on the air actuator on the t-case.
THIS IS MOST LIKLEY THE CAUSE, not poppet valves, to much air presure, ect., that fitting is the exhaust from the transfer shift cylinder

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mine started blowing like that, I basically tore the whole declutch system apart valve to cylinder. I tried a rebuild on the poppet valve, but it did not cure the problem. I ended up buying a new-in-the-box valve and I'm glad I did. I replaced all the declutch hoses, to include the air supply from the right frame rail, and rebuilt the air cylinder. Operates flawlessly ever since.

As a side note, I also installed a reverse light and back up alarm using an air switch plumbed into the reverse air line...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?86106-Reversing-Light-Alarm-M809-Series

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks