• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins NHC250 Head removal question

Kingpepsi

So i decided to pull the head on my truck to see how bad the cyl looks. Its the number 3 cyl so the middle head needs to be taken off. I have hit a road block. I have the head loose and it will move around quite a bit but it seems as though something is holding it down. I cant seem to free the passenger side rear corner of the head. Drivers side comes right up but something is snagging. Any chance that you cant remove the middle head without pulling the first head? Everything is removed from the head including fuel connection tubes, intake, exhaust, rocker boxes, push tubes. The TM says pull straight up and no dice.

Kingpepsi

I'll make sure I take some pictures and Bob thats one **** of an idea haha only problem is i have a rogue rod and chunks of liner in the bottom of the motor. Could make for great fireworks though :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the rod out and get rid of a few pieces, I'll bet she starts right up. Mine did. :)

Kingpepsi

Heres the pics! All i can say is That don't look right :cookoo:

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.jpg

The head is garbage, the liner is gone, the piston was in the bore sideways, the connecting rod is bent, and the block is cracked. What a sound it must have made!

Last edited:

Triple C

Heres the pics! All i can say is That don't look right :cookoo:

View attachment 413302View attachment 413303View attachment 413304View attachment 413305View attachment 413306

The head is garbage, the liner is gone, the piston was in the bore sideways, the connecting rod is bent, and the block is cracked. What a sound it must have made![/QUOTE

Cracked block. Are you trying to salvage the motor or just interested to see what happened. Did you buy it knowing the motor was shot?

Kingpepsi

I knew it was shot when i bought it. Curiosity got the best of me and I really needed to see what happened. I have another motor lined up and im just going to swap it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a pretty cool looking piston. Great desktop paperweight conversation starter.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And the " DRIVER " said I was just driving along and it stopped running , never heard any noise !!!!