• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m923 transfercase help

ttdawg520

i have a m923 when i purchased the truck the case is stuck in 4wd in high range. the dump soliniod was not hooked up. we traced it down and got it clicking and sounds like it is dumping. im still unable to shift it from high to low. does the 4wd being stuck in 4 wheel high have something to do with this. if anyone has ever had this problem r can give me ant pointers on what i need to do id greatly appreciate the help. thanks

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try shifting it to low with no air in the truck. You may have a solenoid lock problem.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
That transfer case can be really hard to shift when the wheels aren't moving. If the gears are lined up just wrong, then it won't shift until the truck moves a bit. I thought my transfer case was broken when I first got my truck, but I learned that I just needed to get the hang of shifting it. Try to avoid needing to shift it when you're stopped on level ground. Shift it when you're moving a bit if you can, or at least try to stop where there's enough slope to let the truck move a bit if you need to spin the gears. You might have a real transfer case problem, or you might just be getting to know your truck. I hope it's the latter!

There are two controls which engage the front axle:

1) The switch on the dash (it's actually an air valve) that lets you manually engage the axle.

2) A valve under the truck, which gets turned on by a plate on the transfer shift linkage when you shift into low range.

If the valve/linkage under the truck isn't adjusted right, then that's one way for the axle to either not engage automatically in low range, or stay engaged all the time. Or one of the two control valves might have an issue. Or the air plumbing, or a mechanical issue in the transfer case...

That valve under the truck is sometimes deliberately disabled, too, to make the front axle not automatically engage in low range. It wouldn't hurt to start your debugging by locating that valve under the truck and seeing if it's all set up right. If nothing else, you'll get to know your truck's innards better.

Bolkbich

Check your air lines make sure they are going to the right places...5 out of 7 trucks i got were plumbed wrong. Bypass the valve that engages the front axle when you put the t-case in low range. That valve just puts more bind on the driveline when you want to shift out of low.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That transfer case can be really hard to shift when the wheels aren't moving. If the gears are lined up just wrong, then it won't shift until the truck moves a bit. I thought my transfer case was broken when I first got my truck, but I learned that I just needed to get the hang of shifting it. Try to avoid needing to shift it when you're stopped on level ground. Shift it when you're moving a bit if you can, or at least try to stop where there's enough slope to let the truck move a bit if you need to spin the gears. You might have a real transfer case problem, or you might just be getting to know your truck. I hope it's the latter!

There are two controls which engage the front axle:

1) The switch on the dash (it's actually an air valve) that lets you manually engage the axle.

2) A valve under the truck, which gets turned on by a plate on the transfer shift linkage when you shift into low range.

If the valve/linkage under the truck isn't adjusted right, then that's one way for the axle to either not engage automatically in low range, or stay engaged all the time. Or one of the two control valves might have an issue. Or the air plumbing, or a mechanical issue in the transfer case...

That valve under the truck is sometimes deliberately disabled, too, to make the front axle not automatically engage in low range. It wouldn't hurt to start your debugging by locating that valve under the truck and seeing if it's all set up right. If nothing else, you'll get to know your truck's innards better.

Good info. Should help with trouble shooting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks