• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 series LDS 465-1A to Mack ENDT 673 repower

AMGeneral

It's been a while since I updated this thread.

I have the complete windshield swapped from the donor truck,as well as the fender and passenger door.

I worked on installing the winch today,it went smoothly compared to most.

I finally got the dump sitting back on all 10 tires vs sitting on 6 bald 1100s that you could see the air in.

It'll be about 4 different colors by the time I am done,but that's what they make paint for.:tank:

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Well,not much to report today,

I finished hooking up the air cleaner piping and checked it for proper sealing.

I also replaced the alternator(not charging) with a NOS unit I had here at the shop.

Sorry,no pics.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Body sure could use a sandblast when you're all done. Plan to turn that into a replica of one of the few Vietnam gun trucks built on the dump truck chassis?

AMGeneral

Body sure could use a sandblast when you're all done. Plan to turn that into a replica of one of the few Vietnam gun trucks built on the dump truck chassis?
Yeah,I have several trucks that need a good blasting Mike,planning to do that after I get everything mechanically sound.
I'll probably work it for a couple years around here,then after that I have no idea.

AMGeneral

Today's update,

Things have been progressing slowly on the dump,but I have made some progress.

Since the 673s aren't as plentiful as the LDS Multi or 250 Cummins in the older 5 ton trucks,no one mass produces the J pipes for them,you gotta make your own.

I finished up the J pipe this evening and got the exhaust installed and checked for clearance as well as leaks.

I also checked all the lights and turn signals for proper operation.

Just a few pics and a short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cG_TdedLlc

Attachments

Last edited:

AMGeneral

Not much to update this week, I got the 2 spring seats installed as well as the air horns fixed. I also finished the plumbing for the transfer pump from the right hand tank.

AMGeneral

Well,this thread will be at a halt for a while,whilst I was prepping the dump for this weeks work,I found 2 leaves broken in the drivers side rear spring pack. I will be replacing the entire spring pack sometime in the near future with pics posted here.

AMGeneral

Update!!

Well, things have slowed down after the enormous amount of work the 4500 Ford backhoe required, so I am finally back to work on the M51A1 dump.

I changed the oil in the transmission as well as replaced the front driveshaft this week.( the trans has water in it,and the driveshaft was bent)

I will be swapping the broken rear spring pack this weekend,pics will follow.

AMGeneral

I started the spring pack replacement this evening,

As with all projects of this size,I must express ALWAYS USE PROPER tools,jackstands or oak cribbing when supporting ANY MV when doing work requiring removing the wheels/tires!!

Remember,these trucks weigh TONS,they will shift and fall if not properly supported!!

SAFTEY FIRST!!!!!!!

With that said,on to the explination of work,

On the M39/M809 series 5 tons,the rear spring sits on a trunnion type mount that rotates on 2 ea cone and roller type bearings that are lubricated by a grease fitting on the bottom of the spring mount.

Depending on your situation,you may find it easier to replace the spring pack itself vs replace the whole mount and spring assmy,this was not the case in my situation.

After properly blocking the dump in place,I removed the 4 wheels/tires to access the spring pack with air tools.

Pics below of tonights progress.

Captions of the pics,

#1- picture of the spring pack,note the 2 broken leaves,#3 and 4

#2-area of discussion,the trunnion bearings are behind the round cap at the bottom of the springs.

#4-slight amount of cheating on my part, I used the wrecker to lift the dump to block it in place,notice the dump has the front wheel chocked.

#5-both rear tandems chocked as well on the opposite side plus the dump is in gear and parking brakes set.

#6- the dump bed with the proper saftey supports in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

walkerhunter

I am the sentence police and i dont wont none of them run on sentences and i dont wont sentences without proper punctuation....... The work looks good AM takes a man lots of sweat to keep em chuggin.:deadhorse:Hey you old wrecker driver easy on the family jewels!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for AMG - are you replacing the broken spring pack with another take-out, or are you taking the pack to a spring shop to be repaired?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks