• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce 2'' reciver install

03westernstar

I towed my first trailer today with my deuce and as all deuce owners know the pintle is to high for the average trailer, so I moved trucks out the shop and got to work. I had a 3/4ton dodge 2'' reciver from previous project that I cut the ends off of and added 19'' pieces of 2x2x1/4'' angle on the ends for an outside measurement of 34'' the outside width of deuce frame, being 2'' angle the deuce frame flange is 2'' also. installed 6 5/8'' bolts drilled through bottom flange.Don't knock my bucket block..lol. With the average 0''drop reciver the ball is 2'' higher than my service truck, which isent a problem. The pictures aren't in order and camera died ill get finished pic tomorrow

Attachments

Josh

I found that with stock tires, an 8in drop hitch is about dead on for most trailers. With the 395s I had to move up to a 12in drop to keep my trailers level. Your hitch actually looks a hair higher then mine also. That said, its a very nice versatility to hook just about any civy trailer to the truck. Looks well made and hopefully shall last a lifetime.

1800 Diesel

I'm digging everything but the Grade 5 bolts. If you truly want it to last a lifetime you might consider Grade 8. Love the bucket stand! :D
I believe the shear strength of a grade 5 steel bolt (assuming those are 1/2" diameter) is in excess of 10,000 #s per bolt. If he's using at least 2 per side (which I believe might be 3 per side) total shear strength of the rig (with no safety factor) should be over 40,000 #s. With a 2" receiver I would assume he's most likely gonna be towing loads less than 20,000 #s. If he wants to tow higher than 20k loads, then the grade 8s would be good insurance--at least to improve the safety factor. Or he can drill a couple more holes to provide for 4 fasteners per side & keep the grade 5s.

I'm with you on liking the bucket stand--I thought I was the only one who used 5 gal buckets to hold things under my truck... :)

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the simplicity & shear strength design; very effective. With the nice short height, you won't have to worry much about side-loading forces like with one that dropped down.

Good job! [thumbzup]

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bucket would be handy when taking things apart, you could throw all the small parts and fasteners inside. Maybe you could strap a tool belt on it to hold your tools? Or you could even fill it full of ice...

Nice hitch!

JasonS

I believe the shear strength of a grade 5 steel bolt (assuming those are 1/2" diameter) is in excess of 10,000 #s per bolt.
What is the load capacity in the vertical direction? Just thinking that with a significant drop hitch that not all of the force will be in shear.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks