• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert to Automatic??

Riktord

So after a lovely romp around in the mud a good buddy of mine asked to drive the Deuce. I walked him through it and he noticed the shifting required a spirited push into gear. Then he started talking about an auto trans in a Deuce which brought up a couple of questions I haven't been able to find answers to.

1) What difficulty is it to swap in an Allison 1545 from an A3 into an A2?
2) Could the PTO driven winch still be utilized? (very critical)
3) What are the drawbacks?

Riktord

I was under the impression that they were both the same SAE pattern. Either way there has to be an Allison out there with a PTO that could bolt up to the multi. Or at least one with PTO that would bolt to a DT466.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was under the impression that they were both the same SAE pattern. Either way there has to be an Allison out there with a PTO that could bolt up to the multi. Or at least one with PTO that would bolt to a DT466.
Finding one that will give you power and decent road speed may be a challenge. The A3 deuces with the CAT engine and Allison transmission are slower than the A2 trucks.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't see going through all the hassle and expense of converting to an automatic. The standard is going to be easier and cheaper to work on. Not to mention parts are readily available. It's not like switching trannys in a Ford pickup.

The winch on the A3 is hydraulic and I don't think that the 1545 has a PTO. The available space for a transmission is extremely limited in the deuces and that make sourcing a transmission very difficult. You would have a much easier time just buying an A3. Like Wreckerman said though, they are very slow (48mph).

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple pics of the MT643's.
First one set up for hydraulic winch from a Canadian deuce and second one set up for pto operation.

MT643 Allison.jpg
ALLISON%20MT643-1.jpg

shannondeese

Allison makes a trans that will bolt up to the multi fuel with two PTO mounting points. It is the RDS 2500. I had two of them for awhile and was playing around with mounting one to the multi but it takes a lot of power to turn that trans so I eventually gave up on the idea and just kept the standard trans. They are out there though if you want to go that route and can afford the trans. They are not cheap.

welldigger

Finding one that will give you power and decent road speed may be a challenge. The A3 deuces with the CAT engine and Allison transmission are slower than the A2 trucks.
The utter lack of an overdrive is what kills the a3. I have been thinking it would be awesome to repower a deuce with an engine that is more reliable and stouter than the MF with an auto tranny with a good overdrive gear. The problem is finding an engine/tranny combo that will fit. As several people have stated there isn't a whole lot of room to work with.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

quickfarms

Allison makes a trans that will bolt up to the multi fuel with two PTO mounting points. It is the RDS 2500. I had two of them for awhile and was playing around with mounting one to the multi but it takes a lot of power to turn that trans so I eventually gave up on the idea and just kept the standard trans. They are out there though if you want to go that route and can afford the trans. They are not cheap.
That is either a 5 or 6 seed overdrive trans.

Will it fit without moving the transfer case

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks