• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Fan Shut off

dmilkman589

so im sure someone must have put up a thread of this already but i cant find any of the answers im looking for.

so i drove through a small pond yesterday .. all went well as the water started coming into the cab she took it fine... k5 dont care. but when i got out i opened the hood and everything was soaked. afraid of breaking the fan and or filling my intake with water. how do i set up a fan disconnect for the m1009? how is it even controlled? i hear talk about clutches. is there any way to get them to not be engaged when im about to cross water?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there any way to get them to not be engaged when im about to cross water
No.

You'll need to remove the original and install and electric fan, if that's your goal. But, an electric fan will die fast if submerged often.

Maybe you need a snorkel.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do they no longer capitalize in college?

dmilkman589

im mechanical engineering. im terrible at grammar stuff haha, and i go to buff state not ub so its the worst of the two schools...

how come the stock fan cant be shut off?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it runs by the belt. You can cut the belt to stop the fan, but the water pump also stops working.

With your mechanical engineering back group you should be able to design a new system. Maybe the college will pay for the machining

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[h=3]Question No. 1[/h][h=4]"How does a thermal clutch fan work?"[/h]A thermal clutch fan operates using silicon fluid as a viscous coupling medium. When the clutch is cool and disengaged, most of the silicon fluid is stored in the reservoir allowing your fan clutch to slip relative to your water pump shaft thereby spinning at a lower RPM than the water pump. This saves you money because the horsepower from your engine is not wasted driving a clutch fan when it's not needed. As your engine heats up, the thermal spring on the front of the clutch expands, which opens a valve allowing the silicon fluid to drive your clutch at an increased RPM. This provides more air flow through your radiator, preventing your car from overheating.

[h=3]Question No. 2[/h][h=4]"What is the difference between a thermal and non-thermal fan clutch?"[/h]A non-thermal fan clutch is nothing more than a thermal fan clutch always partly engaged. It provides adequate cooling when needed, however, it does not save you money by disengaging (operating at a lower RPM) when additional cooling is not needed.

[h=3]Question No. 3[/h][h=4]"At what temperature does a clutch fan engage?"[/h]The engagement temperature varies model to model. Most automotive clutches engage between 70°C and 80°C air temperature at the face of the clutch.

dmilkman589

maybe take one of the thermal fan clutches do some serious work to it and make a electrical actuated lock up. now that would be cool. hmmm

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now, you are aware of this simple rule, right?

• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read!
Are you in college to learn, or just confirm what you all ready know? I ask this because if you are capable of learning, you are capable of learning to capitalize. I wonder how you made it through high school.

The next time you are so lazy(or stupid) as to not capitalize, you will be banned for a week. And you'll receive an infraction point(these do accumulate and then you are banned forever).

Think I'm being a hard azz, too bad. Your cluttering our excellent forum with crap. We do not want this forum to become a cesspool. The crap stops here.

Someday you will thank me for this.

Last edited:

dmilkman589

I can do that.

So i guess what I am asking is; has something been made yet that bolts up where the original fan clutch is that is able to be disengaged or will the entire assembly need to be removed and an electrical fan installed instead?

Also does the m1009 come equipped with a thermo-fan clutch, or a non thermo?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a non-thermal

I do not know of any that you can simply disconnect when you want to. That does not mean they do not exist, I just don't know about them.

wayne pick

so i drove through a small pond yesterday .. all went well as the water started coming into the cab she took it fine... k5 dont care. but when i got out i opened the hood and everything was soaked. afraid of breaking the fan and or filling my intake with water. how do i set up a fan disconnect for the m1009? how is it even controlled? i hear talk about clutches. is there any way to get them to not be engaged when im about to cross water?
You may be overestimating the capabilities of your 09. Sooner or later, I guarantee you, you will get into a situation where a costly repair or recovery will come into play. You may want to consider getting into a bobbed deuce as you apparenty need something thats a little more heavy duty to thrash through the woods. :shock:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, he needs a vehicle to drive back and forth to college with(not an off road truck). An M1009 that takes a bath like that occasionally needs extensive maintenance afterward, to be driven safely (or to last long) on the highway at 65mph for a few hundred miles at a time.

bikerted86

I would worry more about the electrical and the engine ingesting water. Usually your fan belt will slip when it is that wet, which is a reason alot of offroaders run electric fans the belt can slip for so long after a water hole you can start to overheat.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So i guess what I am asking is; has something been made yet that bolts up where the original fan clutch is that is able to be disengaged or will the entire assembly need to be removed and an electrical fan installed instead?
Never in my 25+ years in the automotive industry have I seen a selectable, "on/off" fan engagement mechanism. Not to say it doesn't exist (seems like the 939 series 5 tons have some kind of fan thingie someone was telling me about), but I've never seen it.

You have:

Thermotstatic fan clutches
Regular fan clutches
Direct drive
Electric fans

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a lot of modification, could a clutch be made from an AC compressor clutch? Those engage electrically.

I also remember seeing an electrically engaged clutch on a supercharger in one of the Mad Max movies....

Seriously though, wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to just drive around the puddle?

Last edited:

212sparky

How about posting more information about you're truck, so if any other members buy your truck in the future, they know it has been driven hard and probably, not PM'd after you're swims.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks