• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Usable ! ! ! M104 ready for use

MilChevyguy

I finally had a break in the weather and work and completed my fabrication for the trailer pintle hitch.

I made up some spacers out of 1/4" wall rectangular tube and used some B7 treaded rod to attach everything back in place just 10" lower
so I could just hook right up to one of my trucks.

Towed it around for approx 50mi and all is good except for the usual banging back and forth on the ring.

My goal was not to modify the trailer so it could be put back into the factory state if required (may have to sell this anyway)

I am going to put the bows and tarp back on when I get a chance again and take some more pics, looks better complete in my opinion.

Well if any SS members have an idea to improve or comment...type away...I always appreciate input ! ! ! :)

Attachments

zout

Lengthen your safety chains so when they are hooked up they are properly crossed and not run straight onto the safety hooks. So if the traielr does brake loose - the tongue drops into the crossed chains.

MilChevyguy

Hey Zout...good catch...I guess the pics I uploaded were before I added the extra chains before I towed it.

I just picked up some quick links and chain to lengthen the originals without removing the hooks.

Should be better that way....thanks for the advice.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like that the Canadian 105's (104) e the taillight guards and cargo tie downs.

91W350

Hopefully that hitch is not hauling a heavy load in the trailer. Without brakes and adding that much leverage to the hitch, I would be afraid of failure. Ready thread or threaded rod is just not the same as a graded bolt. It is much better than what one of our local iron haulers uses on his 105!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a Canadian M104 trailer, or an old American M104 trailer? I can't see much of the front wall of the trailer box, but it looks like it has it's own tailgate, like the early M104 trailers the USA used in the 1950s.

MilChevyguy

Maddawg308,

I thought it was M105 at first from the ad I bought it...but the plate is M104 CDN and dated 1988 year of manufacture I saw after I had it home.
It has front and rear tailgates and full bows/tarp doors etc...I have an earlier post of it when I first got it.

91W350....the threaded rod is rated B7 which is almost L9 bolt strength (original mil bolt on loop) so it is closer to Grade 8 rating with Grade 5 nuts.
I checkedout some other threads about members that extended the pintle plate up to reach the loop, but to me that is a WAY bigger chance of failure at the hitch on the truck.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?41448-Towing-A-M105-Trailer
I think my set up uses way more shear strength with the 4 rods then the bending possibility of the pintle plate being so tall and furter from the actual hitch horizontal.

If any engineers on here wana take a look at my setup I am always interested in opinion and suggestions to make this better.

armysurpguy

What size wrench do I need to loosen that bolt behind the hook so I can go buy one. Im picking up my M105 day after Christmas and I am going to tow it with a Nissan Frontier. Does that sound scary?
Frontier spec says 6,500 Lbs towing but I only have a class 3 hitch which says tongue weight of 500 Lbs..... Sound about right?

00Y0Y_2SlqZXVYNBx_600x450.jpg00c0c_7PrOLdoI4AK_600x450.jpg Im getting the bottom one.....not sure how the seller is getting the top one off.....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks