• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M809 marker lights a la M939

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a little added safety and aesthetics (looking cool), I installed red rear, rear/side and rear identification LED marker lights and amber front/side LED marker lights.

I found the LED marker lights sold on eBay in pairs for $48.00 postpaid.

Erik’s has the metal brackets for the bed http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/mobrforsimal.html and I fabricated the marker light bracket for the front turn signal housing out of 1/8” x 2” flat bar aluminum. All the wiring components (male/female shell connectors, Y-adapters and bulkhead connectors) also came from Erik’s.
SDC11892.jpgDSC_0018.jpgDSC_0017.jpgDSC_0016.jpg

The bed brackets were located and the bed marked and drilled for mounting. Same went for the fender brackets.
The front lights were connected to the 491 (parking lamps) leads on their respective sides. I used a Y-adapter with two bulkhead connectors (you can also change to female connectors on the light side) on both sides to split the marker/parking light connection. NOTE: in order for these lights to work in service drive you have to do this mod…http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46341-Turn-the-deuce-front-parking-lights-into-markers…Yes, it works for the M809-series 5-Tons.
SDC11893.jpgSDC11897.jpgSDC11894.jpg

The rear identification, rear and rear/side marker lights were connected to a 5 wire instrument cluster harness http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/5wiinclha83.html. I attached the harness behind the bed rear bulkhead up near the bed floor. A 1/4“ screw, nut and washer are sufficient to hold it in place.
SDC11895.jpgSDC11896.jpg

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Side and rear/side markers are wired together using the same y-adapter and bulkhead connectors like on the front install; one set in each corner.
SDC11898.jpgSDC11899.jpg

I ran the two wire leads to the center of the tailgate adjacent to the 5 wire harness, installed a female connector on each, then a y-adapter to both and connected it all the harness. A rubber cable clamp is attached on each side up and behind the rear bed bulkhead to keep these wires out of sight.
SDC11902.jpg

The power was pulled from the 21 lead (tail lamps) on the right side (only one side required on the rear), again using the y-adapter and bulkhead connectors. The power lead was dressed up with black zip-ties to the existing taillight harness and connected to the 5-wire harness.
SDC11901.jpg

All tested OK and looks great.
SDC11908.jpgSDC11909.jpgSDC11911.jpgSDC11912.jpg

This project is a little time consuming, but not at all difficult. As long as your truck has a decent wiring harness there shouldn't be any major issues. Thank you for viewing this post and please don't hesitate to ask questions or voice concerns.

Last edited:

SLOrazorsedge

Nice job! I just changed all my M936A1 lights out to LED. Plan also to add the front clearance lights similar to yours. Still working on design for the 3 rear, deck winch and crane are problematic

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added midships ambers

I decided to install midships amber marker lights also. I used a "Y" adapter on the right midships light, wired across the front bed bulkhead to the left and then dressed the supply lead along the frame to the 5 wire harness in the rear. I used another "Y" adapter, as all the leads on the 5-wire were already being used, tapping the supply from the right/rear tail lamp.

SDC11964.jpgSDC11965.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks