• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Newly Aquired CUCV

FatBuddhaBoo

My Newly Aquired CUCV rebuild thread

She's a bit rough. Former military that was sold to a nearby police department before being sold to the guy I bought it from. This will be my next project after the crew cab is completed (with hopes to make it my daily driver)

The bad: Rusted out rocker panels, rust in the rear portion of the doors, rusted out cab section above the door drip rails, a bit of rust under and behind the passenger seat. Also couldn't hear it run since the original fuel filter bleed port was broken when he tried to repair a fuel leak.

The good: 62,000 miles, seats are in perfect condition, came with replacement rocker panels, two other panels, all new door rubber still in plastic bags, tires are in good condition, and the price was right....$925 including the tow charges to my driveway.

First on the list is to do the filter upgrade, bleed the fuel lines and get her running. Second will be the Doghead relay mod. Then on to cutting and welding in new metal.

Parts I know I'll need at some point...original rear bumper, pintle hook and d-rings as well as original rims.

Here's the pics....

IMAG1063.jpgIMAG1062.jpgIMAG1061.jpgIMAG1059.jpgIMAG1058.jpgIMAG1065.jpgIMAG1064.jpg

Last edited:

phil2968

Nice score! Hurry up and get it ready for the next Richloam Rally. I picked a m1009 up for the wife to drive! Let see how many M1009's we can get on a trail ride!:jumpin:

FatBuddhaBoo

Well got the fuel filter mod completed. Purged per the TM, reconnected pink wire and all she does is turn over. Batteries were charged and tested good. Glow plug relay does "click" when the ignition key is turned on.

It appears that at some point the glow plug resistor bypass mod had been completed; only thing I'm unsure of is what is completing the glow plug resistor circuit as discussed in this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...y-Pass-Help/page2&highlight=glow+plug+by+pass

Gonna tackle the relay issue first from the above thread then go through the TM troubleshooting steps now under the Electrical Troubleshooting Section 19...

Oh yeah, included a few pics for your viewing pleasure!

GP relay1.jpgGP relay2.jpg

FatBuddhaBoo

Ok, the old relay seems fine, but I changed it out anyways. 12v on top constant, 12v on orange and pink when ignition is on, then about 30 seconds later the relay clicks and orange goes to no voltage and the blue wire goes to 12v.

Also checked 7 of the 8 glow plugs. Glow plugs are all AC 13G. Five were wet with fuel, two were dry. The two that were dry are the only ones that moved the ohm meter and the reading was zero; the other five the meter did not move at all.

As for the last glow plug, it is stuck in the block. The threads are backed out all the way and it slides about half way out but will not come out. One other plug did the same thing but came out with a quick grab and tug using pliers. The bulb on this one was a bit "swollen" compared to the others.

Got lots of ideas using the search for stuck glow plug....hopefully I get it out without breaking it or having to buy a removal tool!

Last edited:

FatBuddhaBoo

Well installed 7 new AC 60g glow plugs today and decided I'd see if she'd start. Turned the ignition, waited for the light to go out and she fired right up! Let it idle, checked for leaks from the fuel filter mod then drive her around the block. Tranny shifts good and brakes are tight. I'll address the stuck glow plug at a alter date, since I'll need to wait for registration to drive her. Now the fun begins with the restoration!

FatBuddhaBoo

Well started digging into the rocker panel/floor board rust today. Using some Aircraft stripper to remove the rhino liner, found a bit more rust than I was hoping, for, though I don't think it not beyond repairable. Gotta do some repairs to the M16 mounts too :-(

Fumes are pretty intense with this stuff; gonna have a full face respirator next time I use it, as I think I'm gonna pull the seats and strip the entire interior!

IMAG1081.jpg

Before...

IMAG1078.jpgIMAG1080.jpgIMAG1079.jpgIMAG1076.jpgIMAG1077.jpg

After...

IMAG1082.jpgIMAG1083.jpg

richingalveston

Have you considered just putting in new floor pans, looks like you got more than just a few patches. I would consider new floor pans and rockers and just cut it out instead of stripping it.

This is why I do not like rhino lining, rust gets under it and grows.

FatBuddhaBoo

Have you considered just putting in new floor pans, looks like you got more than just a few patches. I would consider new floor pans and rockers and just cut it out instead of stripping it.

This is why I do not like rhino lining, rust gets under it and grows.
Yeah, that's a thought. Already have the new rockers on hand...

FatBuddhaBoo

Good grab, can't wait to see when its done. Are you going for a completely original look?
I was going to try an get it back to looking original, but since it will be my daily driver seat and suspension upgrades are a thought (especially since the front springs have what appears to be a serious negative arch). Also looking for a set of original steel wheels, though I may have sourced a set from a civvy Suburban for free! It will definitely be painted Behr "383" green though!

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Looking good, I am on the same path (rough to rust free) on mine. Persistence is key, so many options and lots of resources on this board and the k5 specific ones. Keep it up!

FatBuddhaBoo

Got the area above both the driver and passenger side doors completed. Not perfect but it will suffice. Also got 90% of the rhino lining removed from the truck bed, hand sanded the majority of the exterior and painted her in Rustoleum heavy rust primer. Also took out the passenger side seat and found a nice 4 inch crack extending inward from one of the seat bolt holes. Guess I will be ordering both floor pans rather than trying to patch it in.

IMAG1091.jpgIMAG1093.jpgIMAG1092.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks