• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton shock absorbers

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Has anyone used aftermarket shock absorbers and if so what were your experiences with them? What kinds were tried and did they make the ride a little less bouncy?
thanks
Will

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used new shocks off a hemett. Price was right. :smile:

They mount the same and look to have the same travel distance. They were also the same size except the top tube shield is a few inches longer. No extreme hills or mountains in Louisiana so I don't think I will be articulating that much to make a difference.

Does ride better but not best. I think air pressure in the tires can break or make the ride. Mine still can bronco on hard concrete interstate but she loves asphalt much better!

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just picked up my NAPA replacements. As soon as the rain stops I am going to put them in this week. I have a lot of wheel hop and leaking stock shocks, so fingers crossed this is the issue. I will post up as soon as they are chaned in.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I found a few cross references gabriel 85308 monroe 74027. I get a lot of bounce on pavement too at low speeds. I have seen modern shocks on large trucks I am looking around to see what is available that I can put on

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I got them in. Only took about 15 mins to change the two of them. The old shocks had NO rebound at all in them. I could easily squeeze them closed and they didn't even try to come back out. They are still sitting on the scrap pile fully compressed.:shock: Took it out for a ride and there was a definate difference. Most of the bouncy front end is gone, it sure seems a lot better. Its not a hundred percent smooth, but its not a Cadillac either. Best part is the Monroe shocks have a nice big "Made in USA" engraving on it. All in all well worth the work. Its pretty easy to check the shocks, when they fail, the oil will start leaking down the lower tube. Once you see oil they are gone.

IMG_0216[1].jpg

emr

Just a funny, i remember my first CJ2A, i thought man these shocks must be shot. Changed em, Not one ounce of difference, If you notice a difference, they muat have really been mush :)

Robo902co

Wheelspinner are those the Monroes 65116.I couldn't read the last # on the pic.I was looking at the KYB KG6004s but I can't seem to find them. Thanks Stevie D