• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Behr rep contact info

Heath_h49008

So, I debated putting this in the Behr paint threads, but decided it deserved a thread all on it's own. With any luck Jacob, the west Michigan Behr/Kilz/Masco rep will chime in. (I showed him the site and he was stunned how we were using his products.)

First off, here is his contact information:

Jacob Ubl, Sales rep.
JUbl@Behrpaint.com
cell#440-336-0360 (Yes, he actually said "Just have them call me if they have any questions")

Now, for the information he has given me about the various types of Behr paint.

Behr Premium Plus Ultra contains a rust inhibitor. Not as much as Rusty Metal from Rustoleum... but a considerable amount. It is designed for direct over metal application. I told him most of us were using it over "Rusty Metal Red Oxide Primer" after allowing the primer to cure out. Jacob said it was 100% fine to do so.

Behr Premium Plus does not contain the rust inhibitor, but can be used in the same manner.

The "New" Behr Marquee products also contain a dirt and water shedding polymer component and a fade resistant factor in addition to the Premium Plus Ultra.

We spoke for about 20 minutes on what had been done with the product, and what it can do for us... water proof times are a LOT shorter than people think for one example. The PPU is water resistant the same day it's applied depending upon conditions... as in an hour to 3 hours.

If you guys have any questions, or would like to ask him yourselves, hit him up. I'm trying to get him to join the forum and offer some company support on the tech side, and to his and Behr's credit he's more than willing to help.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

I sent Jacob the email below stating the problems I'm having. Thanks for the contact info, Heath!

Jacob,

I was given your contact information from Heath on our military forum “Steel Soldiers”. He told us we could contact you with questions about using your Behr Premium Plus (medium base flat acrylic) paint on our vehicles.

The paint is very easy to work with. Clean up is so simple compared to traditional automotive paints. I have encountered 2 problems, however.

1. The paint streaks in certain areas. I don’t know if the truck is getting wet after painting (rain at night) or dew from overnight. I’m told the streaks go away after surface is washed with soap and water after curing? How long is that in >80F Louisiana weather?
  2. There are random small brown spots appearing on top of the paint the next day in some areas. I painted the entire chassis and cab with no issues. When I worked my way the next weekend to the hood and fenders, the trouble started.

See attached pictures for reference.

Prep consisted of:

1. Wire wheel entire chassis and cab down to bare metal.
  2. Wipe bare metal down with wax/grease remover.
  3. Primer bare metal with Rustoleum self etch primer (rattle can).
  4. Different parts of the truck have cured days, weeks, or hours with the self etch primer while waiting for work to let me off to paint. Rattle can for self etch primer says top coat can happen in 30 minutes. No issues top coating with your paint after 30 minutes with small parts or other sections of truck.
  5. Top coat with your Behr Premium Plus paint. Spraying using cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun, and thinning with warm water up to 10% or so. Mixing water and using stir stick to determine viscosity of paint.

Some spots were lightly sanded and painted over, and they did not come back. I’m tired of top coating. J

Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

I have been buying the "Oops" mistake paint at my local HD... I lucked out and got some Behr Premium Plus Ultra and was able to have it retinted to a color I can use. But that Marquee series looks good from a dirt and water shedding standpoint.

Keep us posted with what you ask and what he says. We might get a good "from the Horse's mouth" tech thread out of this.

bigboy44

Thanks Heath, your post got me to switch from Rapco to Behr! I got a gallon of 383 made up and was very pleased with the outcome. It is a little shinny but I think it is just because it is fresh, the color match is very close and again it is new not 20 years in the elements! Thinning and cleanup was a breeze and a local pickup where the haz mat fees kill you. I ordered 4 gallons from Rapco on the 29th of June (a Saturday) and the 4th is the following Thursday, I figured I would get it by Friday nada so I call Monday morning the 8th of July and I got a recording so I left my info no call back so I called back late afternoon and I got a person this time so I asked why I haven't got my paint yet and I was told they are out of stock and it would be the 12th before the received a new shipment. I cancelled the order and went to this post and got the info on the Behr paint and I will not look back. The Behr paint is so much easier to deal with. I will go back to HD today and get the black and another gallon of 383. I am not building a show truck but I do try to do a respectable job and the Behr will work for me from now on! Thanks to all the SSers that contributed to this thread. Warren

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks