• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV rims and M1008 ??

MasterSweeper

Im looking at buying the HMMWV 12 bolt rims for my M1008. I see that my 2 options are spacers or recenter the rims. Has any one used the spacers and how did they work out? The recenter rims are a little out of my price range, my truck will be street driven most of the time. Thanks, Jim.

richingalveston

Many have spacers here and for HMMWV rims, it is really the only way to keep them street legal. I do not like the spacers because I am building my truck for some pretty heavy off road and do not feel comfortable with them. I bought recentered hummer rims and plan to run them until I am told I can not then I will get some 24 bolts with spacers and have a street set and an off road set.

All recentered HMMWV rims become non dot approved once you cut them.

MasterSweeper

Many have spacers here and for HMMWV rims, it is really the only way to keep them street legal. I do not like the spacers because I am building my truck for some pretty heavy off road and do not feel comfortable with them. I bought recentered hummer rims and plan to run them until I am told I can not then I will get some 24 bolts with spacers and have a street set and an off road set.

All recentered HMMWV rims become non dot approved once you cut them.
Dam, Idid not know that, thanks for the info. Do you have any info on where I can buy the spacers from?

richingalveston

Have not gone down that road so I am not sure where to get them. I would start with google. I beleive you need 2 inch spacers. consider what tire presure you want to use also when choosing your HMMWV rims. I believe the 12 bolts are good to 50 PSI and the 24 bolts will go to 75 lbs. I do not go any higher than 40 on my 12 bolts on the 1009 but if I had a 1008 where I might tow more and haul more, 50 PSI and possibly 60 psi may be more desired and thus I would spring for the 24 bolts because I would not want to run at the max presure all of the time.

hummer4x4guy

Its only illegal once you are caught. Tho I can see why they would not like a person welding and cutting wheel rims for road use. If it fails and you wreck and cause a death it wouldnt be worth it... just my thoughts.
Why not just get the whole humvee and not just the tires? ;-)

richingalveston

basicly they just have not been retested or had an engineer put the stamp on them on how they were recentered and that they still meet DOT specifications. In most cases the recentered rims are stronger than the origional.
It is a shame that wheel spacers are legal and properly welded and recentered rims are not.

Skinny

Depends on what state you live...Maine does not allow any wheel spacers. Are they unsafe, not really. I ran spacers on my Toyota crawler with heavy offset 37's. I never had a problem. I also checked my wheel torque every 1,000 miles.

bshupe

I have the wheels and was going to do the swap on my 1031 but I found that the wheel studs are not long enough to accommodate the wheel spacers or at least not the ones I bought. I got my spacers off ebay for a very good price. Just make sure you buy the billet one not the cast ones.

I ended up selling the spacers and put my 37s on stock 16.5" rims off an old Ford. The older wheels are welded where the newer ones are riveted and I prefer the welded.

I still have 8 wheels sets if anyone is interested.

Skinny

There are only a handful of manufacturers that actually make a DOT approved beadlock...the list gets even smaller when you are looking for an alloy rim. I wouldn't hesitate to run a custom offset steel wheel if the person doing the work has a good reputation. Yes you have modified a DOT approved assembly but 99.9% of the people that run an offroad truck have done the same thing to the steering and suspension anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks