• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crankcase Vent

Cletus09

Is it important to keep that little tube the goes from beside the oil-add cap to the manifold connected? Seems kinda of wasteful to pump exhaust through the intake again... But at the same rate, does this keep a certain amount of oil in the cylinders? I went to pull everything apart and there was more oil in the hoses than I expected. I just don't want to take lubrication away from anything.

dependable

They did not put in the vent system without reason. Mess with it enough and you will get 3 more miles a gallon. Just kidding, you could actually build up pressure and cause oil leaks out the seals.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, the base requires pressure and that is what a CDR valve does. Search it!

Cletus09

I did some searching and all I found was that the reason for the breather returning to the intake manifold was 1.) Emissions control. 2.) to create negative pressure in the crank case to more or less "suck" the blow-by fumes out and create negative pressure.

I'd like to just run a tube down to the bottom of the engine bay. I am not that worried about emissions, sorry tree huggers. I am worried about the build up or crankcase pressure as mentioned by dependable. From what I read, the whole vent-into-the intake was originally designed for gas engines because of the greater vacuum created by the carburetor. However, the only restriction on the intake on the 6.2 is the air filter (mine is currently the stock paper filter, but a cotton one is to come). This doesn't make very many pounds of vacuum (more like ounces). SO, the solution to this was the CDR valve. I must admit that I do not understand how a CDR valve works or what it really does.

My question still remains, though now with more intelligence behind it.

Will removing the vacuum and CDR valve from the crankcase vent and venting it to atmospheric pressure build enough pressure in the crankcase to cause oil leaks and/or any other problems?

Skinny

Yes, remove the absolutely overwhelming amount of CDR plumbing and just run a straight breather tube down onto the ground. They did that prior to the 1960's. It worked well if you like checking your oil level once a week, blowing oil all over the frame, and leaving rainbow puddles everywhere you park.

als804

thanks, i will have to do this.

the reason is my 6.2 engine making toooo much blow by gas.
when rpm is decreasing rapidly, blow by gas is coming out a lot from air filter. my air filter is a dry filter connected to turbo compressor inlet & also to CDR Oullet....

( i don't know the reason , maybe oil(5w-40) or poor piston ring. )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks