• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna bracket mounting - simple cheap parts from hardware store.

K9Vic

So on my last Suburban CUCV clone last year I came up with an idea to mount the antenna brackets from simple parts available at any hardware store. I got all my parts at Lowe's for this project and they are also available at Home Depot. So what I did is use furniture brad hole or T-nuts to hole the bolts for the bracket. After I get everything done I use paintable silicon and paint the brad holes to help against corrosion and leaking inside. To hold them in place I drill out the small holes with a 1/8 drill bit and use 1/8 rivets slightly filing them down flat when installed. I always start with the top first and finish with the bottom having the antenna bracket installed to measure. The reason I do this as sometimes these used brackets may be slightly wrapped when tightened down, this helps to get a perfect fit. Note that the measurements for this were started with the brush guard, see last step for details on that.

It has worked out well four times now and my last 1990 Suburban CUCV clone I have put flags on the antennas and held strong. Driven that 400 miles on the highway to Houston and back and 2000 miles around town with no problems. This seems to be better over the original design as these will never strip and spin out on you since they are three rivets holding it in place.

So here is how I did this, below is the exact part I got from Lowe's.
Hillman T-Nuts Brad Hole 5/16-18 x 5/8.
Bulk buy: 5/16-18 stainless bolts 3/4 long & 5/16 washers (not pictured).
1/8 x 3/8 rivets (3/8 is length, 1/8 round rivets).
Tools: 3/8 and 1/8 Drill bit, flat file, level, tape measure. (not pictured).

001.jpg
-----

Drill out the small holes in the Brad Hole to accept the 1/8 rivets.

002.jpg
-----

Measure everything carefully and drill a 3/8 hole in the metal, you will have to slightly file or round out the hole to get correct fit. I used the brush guard to make my first mesurement so that when installed it would be even with the window line and not be sticking out the back side.

003.jpg
-----

Insert the Brad Hole and drill the hole for each rivet, use the 1/8 drill bit. I will drill one hole and insert the rivet for a better hold, do this for each hole. I also just get it started to mark it and remove everything to complete drilling the 1/8 holes. This is just to avoid damage to the Brad Hole and yourself from spinning out on you with the drill bit.

004.jpg
-----

So you can see how it looks with all the holes drilled, there is plenty of area to hold the bracket in place. So now I install the rivets and to try to keep it level I will tighten down, but not complete installed all three rivets. I use a 1/2 full pull on the rivet gun for each rivet and thereafter complete the full pull to snap the rivets in place. I found this works better over snapping them in one at a time to keep them at level to each other. After installed I file them down slightly, but not too much.

005.jpg
-----

So as you can see the top row is done, so I no have to complete the bottom row. I will install the bracket and mark my holes to drill after removing the antenna bracket as the 3/8 drill bit is larger then the hole on the bracket. Same method of course and when done you can see how uniform it looks. I will also use the silicone and let it dry. After it is dry I will paint the area and all is complete.
006.jpg
007.jpg
009.jpg
008.jpg
-----

The first time I did this I did not have the brush guards so this time I lined up the top of the guard with the window line. I actually used the brush guard to place the top holes so it would be even with the window line. I marked one hole from the brush guard and made a level line to mark the main bracket. Now that I had the line I marked where to drill the holes from the antenna bracket. So this is why it looks the way it does as I started with the brush guard. I also put the brush guard in some from the end of the Suburban so it did not stick out. Ignore the off angle on the rear of the brush guard, I fixed that by pulling it down and is perfectly level now. On my last build it was goofy looking because I did not have the brush guards to measure for them being installed.

010.jpg
-----

So that is my method and I wanted to share how I did this with simple parts from any hardware store. The Brad Holes are about $1.00 each, blots about $.25 each, washers $.10 each ad box of 100 rivets $3.00. So for one antenna bracket it is under $10 and the 100 rivets will cover many more. I always will buy a few extra Brad Hole as I have stripped out the treads once. Since they are so cheap, an extra one or two is not a big deal.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good!

I have a question, though. Yours is similar to the original style brad holes that came from the factory. Why not, when installing the antenna mount, just drill 4 bolt holes the size of the holes on the mount, through the fender, and use nuts/bolts/washers as any normal body part?

K9Vic

Looks good!

I have a question, though. Yours is similar to the original style brad holes that came from the factory. Why not, when installing the antenna mount, just drill 4 bolt holes the size of the holes on the mount, through the fender, and use nuts/bolts/washers as any normal body part?
As long as you can access the other side that will work, but in my application I could not or it would have been a PITA. It was just quick and easy to do it this way, took about 30 minutes to install the bracket with this method.

BTW, those are your brush guards as I stocked up on them when you had them for sale. I bought about 10 of them from you and still have 4 left ready for future builds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks