• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Toe Check and Adjustment (if necessary)

brianp454

M35A2 Toe Check and Adjustment (if necessary)

I decided to check the toe (or toe-in if you prefer) on my truck. This is listed as a semiannual interval in TM 9-2320-361-24-1, which calls out the correct toe-in adjustment of 0.13 ± 0.06 inch (3.2 ± 1.6mm). This is also the only relatively easily adjusted portion of a front end alignment (caster and camber are determined by hardware).

Back in my young man days in VOC-TECH chassis semester we would use a spring-loaded tip on a heavy base to mark the tires while they were jacked to just off the ground. We were also instructed to inspect for any loose parts or excessive slack with any of the chassis parts. I used a small Sharpie taped to a nearly full 5 gallon paint bucket. It made a very nice mark and I checked my toe-in at just over 1/8 inch measuring at the center of the tire rolling radius. My truck has 9X20 NDCC tires just like most of them out there with 50 psi in the fronts; I found my center to be at about 19 ½ inches off the ground. Given my check at right on the spec, I decided that the toe is OK.

I was surprised to see how terribly out of round\concentric with the spindle my tires are! Much of the tire was reasonably concentric and I did not see any issue with the wheel itself (although I did not check them with an indicator, maybe another day). The tires seem to have a couple very flat spots, refer to the attached pics showing the Sharpie heavily interfering with the tire all of the way to having about 1/8 inch clearance between the tire and Sharpie tip. That’s ¼ to 3/8 inch of flat spot! The truck generally drives fine and has just a tiny bit of wobble or vibration when at freeway speeds. I consider the way the truck drives to be normal in my limited experience. I thought I made a video, but apparently did not record it properly. Any thoughts guys?
M35A2C Toe Check 1.jpgM35A2C Toe Check 3.jpgM35A2C Toe Check 4.jpgM35A2C Toe Check 2.jpg

brianp454

Were the tires "warmed up"? You could have a flat spot if the truck had been sitting.
The tires were not warmed up; the truck sat in the drive overnight. I wouldn't expect (my gut instint) the tires to take a set so easily. Maybe next time I'll mark the spot where the tire sat or perhaps mark what appear to be the flat spots and see if they check as flat a week or two later after driving or parking it on a non-flat area. Another idea is to use an indicator and make a measurement say every 10-15 degrees to "map" the concentricity and see if it is affected by sitting or being warmed up as you suggest.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks