• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL contractors destroying cucv's

trooper632

FYI, while I was picking up a trailer at Ft. Hood, I looked at a lot of cucv's not up for auction yet but already had been turned in and "prepped" for auction. Looking into the engine bays i was surprised to see that to drain the fluids "GL contractors who were losing thier contract", cut almost every hose that held any type of fluid instead of just draining the fluids like any normal person, also the sides od the radiators had holes punched in them. Has anyone else seen this type of destruction at any other facilitys.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you showed this poor work / sabotage to GL! The best would have been to take photos and send them to DRMO with a write-up and copy your congressman.

trooper632

yes I asked the person working at DRMO and he said the group of contractors that were tasked with draining the fluids were slated for Sesquestration and were not happy about being layed off

eagle4g63

Weather I want to drive on a truck with old hoses or not is besides the point........with this type of destruction being done, it at the minimum makes recovery a pain in the butt. I would not want to even try to fire up the truck.......or might not even be able to fire up the truck to load it.......let alone drive it off base.

goldneagle

Do you really want to drive the vehicle with hoses that may be almost 30 years old?
Do you really want to drive a vehicle with a 30 year old radiator? They are damaging the trucks making them less valuable. Why are you so quick to give them a pass? Maybe they also poked holes in the transmission pan to drain the transmission oil. (you really want to drive that truck with a 30 year old transmission oil pan?)

In case you didn't get it, I was being sarcastic.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I work on the environmental side on a Marine base.
I am not buying that story that GL personal cut the hoses and drained the fluids. Sorry, I can not see it happening. Unless you tell me that the area was sealed off with crime seen tape, and the base spill response teams were there. Along with base crime units.
We take any type of spills very serious. If ONE hose had just busted on it's own, there would be a spill response team on sight, the base fire department, and if you got there late, the area would be dug up if it was dirt.
Now, when we turn in equipment, it can not have any fluids in it. I have seen hose cut, fuel cells punctured to remove all fluids before turn in. On every piece of gear we turn in that had fluids in it, I am not making this up, we have to "sample" the fluids before turn in, to make sure the unit did not have a killer oil in the gear box. After the sample comes back clean. All fluids are drained (read oil plugs pulled, hoses cut, holes punched in cells), then, we have to write on the unit that all fluids were drained.
I think what you saw was a unit that drained the vehicles before turn in. There are HUGE fines for dumping oils or any POLs on a military base. If that would have happened you would also be seeing it in your state newspapers, on the arrests that were being made.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Concur with Frank.

If you are sure you saw that, then you witnessed a crime. If you are prepared to make a sworn statement to the fact, then I know we have a federal prosecutor member on this website. We also have several other folks that are on here that I'm sure have contacts at Ft Hood to have it investigated.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last two CUCVs I got from GL sale at Ft. Dix had radiator hoses slit, holes drilled in trans pans and fuel tanks, wires cut in certain places, etc. Don't think GL had anything to do with it.

Chief_919

I would think a "killer oil" would be a fluid of the wrong weight, blend, type, etc. etc. purposely put into the vehicle to destroy it. Maybe?
Probably an oil with any PCB's or anything bad for the environment in it. They require testing for that stuff before disposal, no matter how unlikely.

86m1028

Concur with Frank.

If you are sure you saw that, then you witnessed a crime. If you are prepared to make a sworn statement to the fact, then I know we have a federal prosecutor member on this website. We also have several other folks that are on here that I'm sure have contacts at Ft Hood to have it investigated.
I have seen the same thing at HOOD. All fluids are drained, batts are removed. It is not GL it is the group that has to turn them in. I have seen holes in radiators, trans pans, even seen holes drilled in the axle tubes or diff housings. Im willing to bet there is nothing your gonna get done about this. It is what it is. I did not actually witness this at Hood but have seen the aftermath of a lot of vehicles at Ft Hood. I HAVE witnessed damage done on purpose or parts being removed from sold vehicles at RRAD, mentioned it to GL & they could care less about it.

Last edited:

trooper632

I never said "I witnessed it happening", I said I saw the vehicles that had been damaged already sitting at the GL lot, and the GL guy told me how it happened.

KevinsM1009

Damage really going on?!?!?

Gentlemen,
This damaging of vehicles is really happening????!! I am not here very often due to costs,work and traveling for work. I tried to buy a transport container green tagged engine from GL back in March to replace the 6.2 in my M1009 that is damaged from leaky radiator oil cooler since last year. If this is going on at GL Auctions and they can't/won't show it or stop it, how is somebody like me, WAY up here in New England, supposed to trust that something I am bidding on is WORTH the hard earned money I am trying to win a bid with?? It's not like I can just call someone up and complain or get action done on this is there?? One of the freight Haulers from the Oklahoma area of that auction wanted 700+ dollars to ship the engine up here! I wouldn't know about the damage on whatever I bought, it until it had gotten here! That's a lot of money for a guy who is not very "flush with cash"...
I found a 1984 Suburban C-10 6.2 turned into a 6.5 by Dealer Diesels back in the 80's, very likely for a warranty repair, "Runs Good 134,000 on truck" when the Junkyard got rid of the shell. I would prefer a Mil engine that is a direct swap, but if this is what eyewitnesses are seeing, I do not know if I will even stick with GL. I will probably just read and buy from SteelSoldiers members(or Diesel Place) so I can at least have "Eyes on Target" that I can trust/contact. PLEASE UPDATE/FURTHER INFORM ON THIS TOPIC FOR THOSE OF US THAT ARE TOO FAR AWAY TO SEE FOR OURSELVES, YOUR RECON TIME AND EFFORT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want a yellow tag. It is ready to go. The green tag says something is wrong with it. Red is dead.

As far as buying, unless you can get eyes on it, bid as if it is scrap. Even with eyes on it, it is no guarantee that it works.

Each base/turn-in point is different. Some drain fluids and some don't. I have bought seven or eight CUCV engines and only one has been good. The rest need work.

I would suggest buying from from one of the surplus dealers on the east coast. You will pay a little more but they may put a warranty on it.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been bidding on GL for almost as long as they've been in business. This kind of stuff has always went on in some form or another from day one. Damaged vehicles from turn in unit, damage by GL forklift drivers, parts taken by the government and civilians, and down right deceptive pics.

Don't trust a engine tag with 100% certainty no matter what color it is. My opinion is to never bid on something that you can't afford to loose the amount over scrap value you pay for the item. I bid over scrap value on stuff all the time but know full well that there is a possibility that I'll loose that money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks