• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many gallons of paint do I need?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to try and get my deuce painted this year. I plan on using Rapco paint, sprayed with an HVLP sprayer outside. I'm thinking 2 gallons of primer, and 2 of OD green. Is that going to be enough? There's no bed on it now, and I'll paint the bed when I get it. I probably won't do inside the engine compartment, or inside the cab (just yet). Opinions??

Diecorpse

It depends how many coats you apply. I know most people do at least two if not four coats to ensure longevity. I would assume two gallons is plenty, if not, get more, just keep record of your color so it will look the same. I used a quart of Rustoleum forest green. Thinned it out to a gallon, and I was able to get two coats on my Deuce. It's been two years and it still looks good. Been thinkin I should put a few more coats on so I know it will last even longer and for a more rich color. It looked faded because I thinned it but it kept it from rusting.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rrepik and his wife just did his a few weeks ago before we met at Quaker Steak you might want to PM him. They painted everything including underneath. It looks good.

Takes 20 rattle cans for a Deuce and about 24 for an 809. No frame painting though, just bed and body.

Flyingvan911

Two gallons should be plenty. If I remember right, I used about one and a half for a couple of coats on mine. I touched up the rust and primed those spots then painted the whole thing green. I did the black and brown with rattle cans. All Rapco paint.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scroll down to the bottom and try a couple of the similar threads.

JCKnife

Pfft. Two gallons may be plenty if you're just spraying over the truck as-is. I've been taking mine apart and spraying the pieces separately then re-assembling. I'm into my 3rd gallon and...one fender is done. Tool box. One step. Exhaust, mirror brackets, rifle holders, map compartment, doors (inside only)...

Haven't touched the hood, cab or bed yet! I figure I'm going to need 6-8 overall, once my trailer is included.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rrepik and his wife just did his a few weeks ago before we met at Quaker Steak you might want to PM him. They painted everything including underneath. It looks good.

Takes 20 rattle cans for a Deuce and about 24 for an 809. No frame painting though, just bed and body.
I've just been doing a few pieces, bumper, mushroom, grill, headlight sheetmetal, bows, etc., and I've aready gone thrugh a dozen cans of the OD green, and more than half of that in primer cans. There's no way 20 cans will do the job I want to do.

Diecorpse

I used brushes. It takes a while but you get more coverage. The brush doesn't soak up all the paint like rollers. Spray paint works good but you don't get much paint. When I used paint thinner to clean my brush, I used the thinner with paint to cover more, though it was a really light coat and runny, it didn't take as much paint on the next coat. It's cheaper too, I spent 25 bucks for a quart of paint, three brushes, a quart of paint thinner, a cheap paint pan. I got it all at Menards since they were cheaper than Walmart.

Last edited:

ivbeenrokd

I did mine a year and a half ago using the paint from Rapcoparts. I scuffed the whole truck inside and out, took any rust to bare metal, primed all bare metal with rustoleum rattle cans, sprayed 2 coats of green inside and out, and did the brown and black on top off that. Ordered 2 gallons of green, 1 gallon of black, and 1 gallon of brown. Also sprayed the under carriage black. Used every drop of green, most of the black, and just some of the brown. I also got matching rattle cans from rapcoparts for touch up. Works great. Wheels are satin black krylon from advance.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Diecorpse

Yes lots of work. I didnhave issues with runs. I learned a lot from working at Menards for six years, found a lot of unconventional ways to do things, being more efficient and saving money. A lot of tips from contractors and product reps. Thats why I used the brush, you keep swiping the brush across the surface with a little paint, making a thin coat. When I painted my hood, by the time I was done, most of it was dry already, and it only took me about thirty mins to do the hood with one coat. Yeah my hand and arm was getting tired but it was worth it. It works for me, though everyone has their own way of doing it that allows them their most efficiency.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took 7 gallons of Gillespie/rapco paint to do my deuce
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?53338-So-it-begins-but-never-ends
The deuce I had before this one took 5 gallons to paint.
I guess it all depends how far you want to go.
I read your thread. You're a real jerk you know that?? Now I have to do a bunch more work so my deuce will look that good too. :drool: (or at least half as good) Your's looks like it was the show room model.

I plan on power washing mine real good, cleaning off the heavy rust on the frame and under carriage, and then hitting those spots with rust converter. Then I'll put on the primer with hardener, and at least two coats of color.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks