• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AM301 Dragoon APC Help

swat435

I found a Dragoon at another Sheriff's Office that has been sitting idle for 5 years due to an engine fire. After replacing a portion of the wiring harness, fuel hoses, radiator hoses and some clean up we got it running. We sand blasted it, painted it, changed out all of the fluids, put new brake shoes on and we thought we were ready to go. That's when we started having issues with the hydraulics. It started pumping out fluid through the dip stick on the hydraulic tank. At least we think its the tank. Does anyone have any idea what the hydraulic fluid capacity is. apc.jpg

swat435

Thanks kcimb for the info. I was able to get some assistance from 2 gentlemen that work on hydraulics. As it turns out we had over filled it and the brake pedal was out of adjustment creating heat excessive heat.

kcimb

Thanks kcimb for the info. I was able to get some assistance from 2 gentlemen that work on hydraulics. As it turns out we had over filled it and the brake pedal was out of adjustment creating heat excessive heat.
Too much oil will do that..too much pressure. Glad to see you fixed it, I should have said something. Tired!

swat435

apc interior.jpgapc4.jpgapcblasted.jpgapc3.jpg Here are a few more pics. We exchanged the original wheels tires and rims because I could not find any 21inch original tires for it. We will get some run flats on it eventually but these will do for now. It was not in that bad of shape when we got it but a little tlc can go a long way.

wgtactical

Looking great! We're working on a breaching ram that attaches without welding and doesn't obstruct the driver's visibility. Most of the ones (well all of the ones :twisted:) I've seen are not properly designed, placed or attached. Anyway I will post pictures once we have something to show.

swat435

That would be great. We have some ideas of what we would like but that does not mean it will work. We do have a platform being built for the rear that attaches to the existing mounting bolt holes. As soon as we get it painted and mounted I will post a pic.

swat435

Well I thought it was fixed. Took it out and hydraulic fluid started pouring out again. It may be time to pull the entire power pack because unless you are a very small individual you can't get to the rear of the hydraulic pump. The info I have found says it will come out in 30min. I guess we will find out.

swat435

It's been a while since I updated. We pulled the power pack and had the hydraulic pump rebuilt. Put it all back together and it cranked up to our amazement. Other than a crossed hose that caused a small house to blow fluid every where we got it finished. Runs and drives like a champ. A/C works good too. The only thing I'm trying to get for it is 4 rims to fit the 14R20's I was able to run across. The larger tires will make it look right. Around 45mph you can feel the rear swaying some. It's due to the 11R20's we have on it.apc.jpg

UNIMOG-GUY

So I am confused... Is this a personal vehicle or a department vehicle? I am trying to figure out if approaching LEO departments is a potential way to purchase a vehicle.

wgtactical

So I am confused... Is this a personal vehicle or a department vehicle? I am trying to figure out if approaching LEO departments is a potential way to purchase a vehicle.
I gather from the first post that this vehicle was pretty much transferred from one sheriff's department to another, so it still serves as a gov't vehicle. What some agencies are finding out is that if there's not a need for this type vehicle then the new seems to wear off of them pretty quickly and they kinda just sit around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks