• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

zout

Tracking a Bill Through The General Assembly
IDEA
Legislator sees need for a new law or changes in existing law and decides to introduce a bill.
DRAFTING
Legislator goes to Office of Legislative Counsel. There, attorney advises legislator on legal issues and drafts bill.
INTRODUCTION AND FIRST READING
Legislator files bill with the Clerk of the House or Secretary of the Senate. On legislative day after filing, bill is formally introduced. In chamber, bill’s title is read during period of first readings. Immediately after first reading, presiding officer assigns bill to a standing committee.
SECOND READING
In the House only, on next legislative day, Clerk reads bill’s title (second reading) in chamber, although actual bill is now in committee. In Senate, second reading comes after bill is reported favorably from committee.
COMMITTEE ACTION
Bill considered by committee. Author and other legislators may testify. If controversial, public hearings may be held. Final Committee action reported in a written report. Committee options are:

• Recommend Bill or Resolution Do Pass;
  • Recommend Do NOT Pass;
  • Recommend Do Pass with changes (amendments or substitutes);
  • Hold Bill.

THIRD READING AND PASSAGE
Clerk or Secretary prepares a General Calendar of bills favorably reported from committee.

• Legislation which was second read the day before is placed on a calendar in numeric order for floor action prior to the the Rules Committee meeting to choose bills for consideration.
  • After a certain point, set by rule, the Rules Committee meets and prepares a Rules Calendar for the next day’s floor consideration from bills on General Calendar.
  • The presiding officer calls up bills from the Rules Calendar for floor action in order as they appear on this calendar.

Once presiding officer calls bill up from Rules Calendar, Clerk or Secretary reads bill’s title (third reading). Bill is now ready for floor debate, amendments, and voting. After debate, main question is called and members vote. if bill is approved by majority of total membership of that house , it is sent to the other house.
TRANSMITTAL TO OTHER CHAMBERBill is passed if:

• If second chamber passes bill, it is returned to chamber where bill was introduced.
  • If first chamber rejects changes and second chamber insists, a conference committee may be appointed. Committee report is accepted by both chambers.

Bill is enrolled and sent to the Governor (if requested). Otherwise, all enrolled bills sent to Governor following adjournment sine die.

Ref: http://www.legis.ga.gov/legislation/en-US/default.aspx

Here is a better user friendly version of what needs to take place: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/government-politics/legislative-process-overview

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title changed and I think I donated to the cause to help our GA Brothers and ultimately the rest of us.

Thanks guys.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its amazing how quick a tread gets snowed under these days; this thread is down already to the lower end of page 2 of updated threads in just a few hours. :wink: :wink:

3dAngus

I have not been keeping up. So there is a fund raiser now for a proposed new law in Georgia.
I'm all for that. We have all had issues with the Georgia DMV.

Now where can I read the proposed law change to see if we are all on the same page with what we what to accomplish.
I sure as heck don't want to read 24 more pages, when I knew of the problems and fought for change, and got it, years ago. A law directing them in Atlanta would be far superior. I just need to read it as proposed. Has it been posted, and if so, where please. Thanks for any help in finding it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not been keeping up. So there is a fund raiser now for a proposed new law in Georgia.
I'm all for that. We have all had issues with the Georgia DMV.

Now where can I read the proposed law change to see if we are all on the same page with what we what to accomplish.
I sure as heck don't want to read 24 more pages, when I knew of the problems and fought for change, and got it, years ago. A law directing them in Atlanta would be far superior. I just need to read it as proposed. Has it been posted, and if so, where please. Thanks for any help in finding it.
It hasn't been posted , but post # 163 addresses why kind of.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dell good evening, the proposed changes to the existing laws have not been published on the site yet. I am meeting with our sponsoring senator early this week to review the draft that I created. Once this step has been completed then it will go to the Legislative Counsel to get drafted into an actual bill.

We would love your support on this effort.

3dAngus

Dell good evening, the proposed changes to the existing laws have not been published on the site yet. I am meeting with our sponsoring senator early this week to review the draft that I created. Once this step has been completed then it will go to the Legislative Counsel to get drafted into an actual bill.

We would love your support on this effort.
You will get it brother. As soon as I can be a responsible citizen of the State and read what I am expected to support.
This is how the democratic process works. It's not supposed to be a secret.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dell you make a good point this is the United States. I have not posted for the following reasons:

1.) It can provide ammunition for those that might not want military vehicles on the road
2.) We are waiting for legislative feedback if the proposed changes are the best way to approach the problem
3.) We are trying to stay under the radar and information on the Steel Soldiers site does show up in google very easily and highly ranked in the top positions.
4.) The goal of a successful change to the law could easily become expanded to try and become everything to everyone and that would have zero chance of being passed into law.
5.) There are some broader issues to the MV community that a public forum debate would not be good for us

I am also concerned that I do not have the time or energy to explain/defend the approach that was taken to anyone that wants to take shots at over hundreds of hours of research, meetings and discussions.

That being said, I am posting the draft of the proposed law changes for review.

I apologize upfront that I do not have time to educate everyone on all the background and the issues.

Currently we are at approximately $1300 in total pledges and contributions. Today has been a busy family day and I do not have an exact amount. Hopefully we will get some additional contributions over the next 24 hours and I can report back tomorrow good news.

Attachments

3dAngus

Actually, I already anticipated and fully agree with 1-5 above. It makes it much easier. I would want to do it the same way.
Unfortunately, it would be fully irresponsible for any person who resides within this state to blindly support any law they knew nothing about.
Now, we all know. Thank you so much for the offer of true transparency, and opening the door for a modest donation to your cause.
Now, is there a paypal account where I can donate?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine Ladies and Gentlemen MV owners of the State of Georgia since I dropped my pants I am going to make this very clear for everyone.

Any MV vehicle that is newer than July 1st 1986 is illegal in the state of Georgia per the currently laws. You may have a registration and license plate today but the state has every right to revoke your registration and you will have to go to court to get your rights back. Now weigh the legal costs of going to court against donating to our efforts.

Don’t believe me educate yourself on the Wisconsin legal battle.

jw4x4

Actually, I already anticipated and fully agree with 1-5 above. It makes it much easier. I would want to do it the same way.
Unfortunately, it would be fully irresponsible for any person who resides within this state to blindly support any law they knew nothing about.
Now, we all know. Thank you so much for the offer of true transparency, and opening the door for a modest donation to your cause.
Now, is there a paypal account where I can donate?
Dell- the email address for donations is in this thread, post #166. I have been following this thread closely, and to me it is a most worthy cause. I don't even live in Georgia, but made a donation, as have many others.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks