• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 trans fill blew up

MilitaryPickers

So we're driving down the road, decided to pull over for coffee. My father in law went to check the the trans fluid level, when he pulled the dip stick it shot up and hit the roof and hot trans fluid went all over him and the cab. I tried my hardest not to laugh. He got burned pretty good. But any way were thinking we had a leak in the trans cooler somewhere. Antifreeze was mixed in with the fluid. Has anyone had this problem. How hard of a fix is it. And if I need a new hydromatic does anyone know where there's one close to ct?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never heard of this happening. If your trans was working well before the heat exchanger core failed, by all means do not pull the transmission, just flush it out as best you can. The heat exchanger is located in the trans pan, super easy to pull. You can probably just braze up the hole if it is accessible. I think the core is made of stainless.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the best to your father for a great recovery and Thank him from me for the lesson. That is an eye opener. I wait until my trucks are at operating temps before I check trani levels, whew.

Good Safety Lesson before the weekend to use caution when checking hot fluids.

High levels can be from cooler core or cooler core connections....but blow-outs are not covered.
The TM says you can replace the oil cooler assembly.
Hope for a loose connection. It's not a bad job and is covered in 9-8025-2, page 96 which you can find at the bottom of the page here http://militarytrucks.ca/m135.htm

How was it shifting and running before your father tried to do a little PMSinge?

MilitaryPickers

Oh he's fine, hurt his ego more then anything. I'm trying to find time to work on it hopefully next weekend ill pull the pan. He seems to think its more due to the trans not going into gear now. But then again he can never figure out the sequence wi the two levers. I think there's a lot of play with the levers and he's either in pto or not in gear. Who knows ill update soon. I'm going to have to degrease and power wash the cab before I do anything

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Trani Oil Cooler

I had a chance to pull the pan on a spare trani that was given to me.

Got as far as pulling the two fasteners on the oil cooler so just need to figure out how to pull the cooler out.

Here's a few pics of one that sat outside too long.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

Sounds like the cooling system pressurized the transmission. Going to require several drain and fills to get the coolant out of the torque converter. That core tranny you have is still salvageable though. Invest in a media blasting cabinet and some glass bead media. Glass bead cleans steel and aluminum very well and will not pit aluminum. Just gotta watch the dust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks