• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing a 5-ton, tow bar feet modification questions/opinions.

I bought a large towbar today, kind of one of those too good to pass up prices, but the big problem is the feet are for something much larger than a M939 series truck. 1.5" pins on both ends. I am thinking about milling some off of the 'truck' end, and installing sleeves to make them fit 1" pins. I think there will still be plenty of material around the holes (should be as much or more than would normally be on the feet that would fit a 5-ton). What do ya'll think about this? I have searched around and can't find any 1"/1.5" feet.

The sleeve would be the red obviously, the blue would be what I would cut off. There would have to be a little extra cut off on the outer sections to clear the bolt heads.

IMG_20130807_154644_779.jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 1 1/2" x1" adpaters have the 1" end at the end of curved ears to allow the adapters to pivot DOWN so the tb will have a straight pull from the pentle also to allow up/down movement of the towed vehicle, Just milling the adpaters to clear the bolts won't work because the tb will be put in a bind,

I will post a pic. tomorrow of what the correct adpater looks like if someone does not do it sooner.

At one time there was a plan to machine these adapters till the cost involved made it clear that it would be cost prohibited

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Most of the time off the top, also just clearing the bolt heads will NOT allow enough UP movement if attached to the lower brackets on the 939 series, and not enough DOWN movement if attached to the top brackets, the 1 1/2" holes are to close to the tb end

I went though the try to make the 1 1/2"x1 1/2" work program (fail) before I brought the 1 1/2"1'adpaters

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There was some in the classifieds but they go very quick, still worth a look, try ebay, I got mine from a SS member "SEMIS" I think that is the spelling, this was a few years ago

Got lucky, after some searching I found a member on here that had an extra set, so they should be on the way later today. The tow bar is massive, I will need to take a forklift with me just to put it on...

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Got lucky, after some searching I found a member on here that had an extra set, so they should be on the way later today. The tow bar is massive, I will need to take a forklift with me just to put it on...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are MISSING a part of the tb BII, if you had read the tb TM you would have seen that in the back of the TM it list the BII, one of the items on that list is a WRECKER, it also states that TWO MARINES, SEALS, or SF TROOPS may be used to replace item #1 (wrecker) if misplaced, it then goes on to say that if item #1 and #2 are not available, then a MININUM of 5 troops will be needed to properly install the TOW BAR from HE11