• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Home made direct drive starter bracket using angle iron - How to.

K9Vic

The M1009 I am working on I found that the started bracket was missing for the OEM direct drive starter. So yet again I had to make one as they do not exist anymore and will see if that helps before I pull out the starter. Since this comes up sometimes I decided to make a separate post on how to make one of these if you have the right tools. It is a simple project with a welder, grinder and drill. Take a 1/8" thick 1-1/4" high angle iron and cut it to length and cut a slit out of it to bend it and weld it in place.

To get the length I took the OEM inside the angle iron and rolled it down and marked that as my cutting point.
From there I cut it and looked to where the angle started and marked my lines and angle cut, about a 40 degree angle.

IMG_9570.jpgIMG_9576.jpgIMG_9573.jpg

Cut is rough and is tightened up after bending it.
The last two pictures show it is even and ready for a good weld. (It actually got closer bending it some more)
I also cut down the ends to shorten it slightly, but it really does not need to be done.
IMG_9577.jpgIMG_9580.jpg
IMG_9587.jpgIMG_9583.jpg

Holes drilled out to match the OEM bracket, you line them up with both on a flat surface.
Oblong the holes slightly to match, but used correct width drill bit.
Welded and the outside I grind down to look nice.
IMG_9594.jpgIMG_9595.jpg

Painted to protect it from rust with 5 coats.
IMG_9598.jpg

So that is it, real simple to make one of these since they cannot be bought anymore. I have had one in my last M1009 for a year and many starts with no problems, so they hold up well. I do not have a cost as I am using scrap angle iron, but should not be over $20 if you had to get one from the hardware store.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Here are pictures of the first one I made, I think the latest one turned out nicer looking. But these pictures give you all a better idea of the angles it matches.

Starter-Bracket-Homemade-07.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-05.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-03.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-01.jpg

My first one I made installed on my previous M1009. Last picture is the OEM from my M1031 that I used as a map for making it.
Starter-Bracket-Homemade-11.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-10.jpgStarter-Bracket-Homemade-09.jpg

If you use new bolts, make sure you use flanged M8 1.25 for the engine block and a flanged 1/4-20 for the starter. Use highest grade you can get and yeah, it is a mix of Metric and SAE.

52066272.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks