• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hi, I'm a new Deuce owner, and a new member, my first post!

Zoey

Howdy, I recently acquired my bobbed Deuce and have been making it road worthy. It appears that my 6th injector (closest to firewall) is leaking externally. My research reading tells me this is probably the fuel return cap. I understand there are two gaskets involved a copper gasket and an injector gasket. I emailed TNJ who have the gaskets available and they suggested I replace the entire injector to solve the problem. This seems unnecessary to me, but I'd love to hear from more experienced owners.

-Zoey

20130826_143542.jpg20130826_143602.jpg20130826_143549.jpg

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers... tnj is a good reputable source. they won't steer you in the wrong direction... they got more knowledge then most here... I'd listen to them....

steelandcanvas

Get a few more opinions from people not trying to sell you something, then make up your mind. I can't understand replacing the whole injector, when the gaskets may be bad.

Zoey

I agree...

Get a few more opinions from people not trying to sell you something, then make up your mind. I can't understand replacing the whole injector, when the gaskets may be bad.
Yeah I felt the same way. A diesel mechanic friend of mine is going to help me out and we're going to have a look at it. His opinion was that we could take it apart, and have a look, and worst case it would go back together and behave the same way.

-Zoey

eagle4g63

From the pics you have, it looks to me like it is the base gasket in the head.......the little copper one between the injector and the head.......if it was leaking from the return cap, I would see wet above the fuel feed line not just low like it is around the orange seal.......I had a leak exactly looking like yours, replaced the copper gasket and made sure to torque the injector bolts down, problem fixed.

Also I would replace the 2 bolts while you were at it, they look a little rusty on the threads and could cause you to not get a good torque spec, they are Grade 8 5/16" bolts, I used zinc coated on mine(that was what came out)....shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars, but it will make it easier to tighten things up.

Zoey

From the pics you have, it looks to me like it is the base gasket in the head.......the little copper one between the injector and the head.......if it was leaking from the return cap, I would see wet above the fuel feed line not just low like it is around the orange seal.......I had a leak exactly looking like yours, replaced the copper gasket and made sure to torque the injector bolts down, problem fixed.

Also I would replace the 2 bolts while you were at it, they look a little rusty on the threads and could cause you to not get a good torque spec, they are Grade 8 5/16" bolts, I used zinc coated on mine(that was what came out)....shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars, but it will make it easier to tighten things up.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Now to find a place to get some of the copper washers.

-Zoey

eagle4g63

Just ask your buddy, it is just a copper crush washer........you might be able to see it in this pic, on the bottom of the injector. Not sure of the exact size, I'll have to see if I have an old one to measure.

Attachments

Zoey

Any hints on which TM for this type of overhaul? I got lost reading manuals for awhile there, but I haven't found a source for torque specs yet.

-Zoey

eagle4g63

OK, so you want TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2.

In this TM there are 2 sections you will want to pay attention to. Paragraph 4-40 starts on page 4-394, this section will guide you through the entire injector nozzle and how it is adjusted and taken apart(cleaned)

The second section you want is paragraph 5-34 starting on page 5-187, this section will give you the specs on installing the injectors(including the torque specs you need)

Zoey

I found it! Pages 293-297 of TM9-2320-209-34-2-1. Fuel System group maintenance.

I should know this one.........I JUST got done rebuilding my motor about a month ago......Let me see if I can find it in my notes.
I found it! Pages 293-297 of TM9-2320-209-34-2-1. Fuel System group maintenance.

-Zoey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks