• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wreckerman's AL to Dallas to OKC to AL trip

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I got back from my trip night before last and am just getting around to posting since I had a lot to catch up on. The purpose of the mission was to visit one of my former soldiers and friend Scott (first pic). He has had heart problems in the past and I wanted to see him in case anything happened. I also have relatives in the area and stopped to see my uncle who is a retired Navy Master Chief. He is over 80 and is my favorite uncle. The final stop was OKC to pick up some stuff Warthog was sending to Swiss in GA and to visit another former soldier and friendIMG_4189.jpgIMG_4291.jpgIMG_4230.jpgIMG_4229.jpgIMG_4216.jpgIMG_4210.jpgIMG_4197.jpgIMG_4196.jpgIMG_4193.jpgIMG_4303.jpg. When I posted my route and schedule in the Transportation Needs thread I got an invitation from SS member Needle who is a volunteer at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/. He invited me and the family to drop in Sunday morning to see them prep a Sherman tank for an upcoming show. Warthog was also invited and showed up will bells on and adult supervision (the pretty red headed lady). The museum is chocked full of warbirds and other display items that will knock your socks off. I spent most of the tour in slack jawed amazement at the beautifully restored planes that are in the collection. Most of them are in flying condition although several of them are just too valuable to fly due to rarity. We arrived and Julian (Needle) and his crew began prepping the tank. They got her out of the hanger and did some passes around the parking lot. We were then allowed to ride on and drive the tank. It was a cool experience and gives you an idea of what the men that fought in these vehicles went through. I want to give a special shout out to Nick and Valad who crewed the tank with us and made us feel more than welcome. Nick presented Elmo (you knew there would be a possum presence) with a Seabee pin. Elmo is now a two piercing possum (I expect him to show up with a tattoo any day now). He also gave me a museum T-shirt which I will wear proudly as a memento of my visit. Here are some pics (including the obligatory possum pics) for your enjoyment.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well the mission was completed today when I delivered the stuff I picked up from Warthog in OKC to Swiss in GA. I had struck a deal with Microjeep for a Bolster trailer and we met at his place in Blairsville to do the drop and swap. Swiss was accompanied by Ron so we had a mini-rally and then broke camp. This was a shakedown run for the M927 in prep for the trip to the GA Rally next month. She ran like a Swiss watch but I did find out she needs a coolant flush and replacement. Here are pics of some of the "usual suspects".

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Swiss, you got that transmission installed yet? It has been three days already

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Swiss, you got that transmission installed yet? It has been three days already
Well it is all apart sitting on Rons driveway. Lots of metal and fines in the tranny, looks like a gear got jammed and some metal cut loose and ran through all the gears. Ron has been on the project as I have been in meetings from **** for the last 2 days.

Looks like all the gear teeth have some damage, we are trying to assess the level of damage by tear down and evaluation.

So it is not in but slow progress being made :) Better than no progress.

Meanwhile I have been late night with multimeter measuring voltages and reading a bunch of great posts by some electrical nut called Warthog on this site called steel soldiers to try and become an electrical expert on the M1009. I became a mechanical engineer because I hated electrical :( Oh well. Worse thing is the more wires you touch the more gremlins become free and ruin your day. I now have the classic blinker indicator lights on all the time, (PS there is a post for that) Check ground. Maybe tommorow when I have light. Then ALT2 light comes back on at start up for a brief drive around the block then goes out while I am working on changing out running lights. This is a more fun than chasing my tail.

We will keep you posted.

Big Thanks to Warthog for the tranny and beautiful pallet tie down.

Big Thanks to Wreckerman for the delivery and a few moments to play with the rodents.

Big Thanks to MicroJeep for the help loading and unloading, **** those 927's are big :)

Big Thanks to Ron for the company on the drive up and for tear down

I think I have thanked everyone but my producer!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks